Jun 20, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Dr. James Andrews confirmed the initial diagnosis of a torn ulnar collateral ligament, so Braves right-hander Brandon Beachy will undergo season-ending Tommy John elbow surgery tomorrow.
Beachy went from undrafted free agent in 2008 to National League leader in ERA this season, posting a 2.00 mark with a 68/29 K/BB ratio in 81 innings. And he was excellent as a rookie last season too, starting 25 games with a 3.68 ERA and 169/46 K/BB ratio in 142 innings.
And now he’s facing 12-18 months on the sidelines, although at age 25 there’s plenty of time for Beachy to make his way back and reestablish himself as a top-of-the-rotation starter.
Jair Jurrjens is scheduled to rejoin the Braves’ rotation Friday against the Red Sox despite posting a 5.27 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 16
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)