Jun 20, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Dr. James Andrews confirmed the initial diagnosis of a torn ulnar collateral ligament, so Braves right-hander Brandon Beachy will undergo season-ending Tommy John elbow surgery tomorrow.
Beachy went from undrafted free agent in 2008 to National League leader in ERA this season, posting a 2.00 mark with a 68/29 K/BB ratio in 81 innings. And he was excellent as a rookie last season too, starting 25 games with a 3.68 ERA and 169/46 K/BB ratio in 142 innings.
And now he’s facing 12-18 months on the sidelines, although at age 25 there’s plenty of time for Beachy to make his way back and reestablish himself as a top-of-the-rotation starter.
Jair Jurrjens is scheduled to rejoin the Braves’ rotation Friday against the Red Sox despite posting a 5.27 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)