Jun 20, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Dr. James Andrews confirmed the initial diagnosis of a torn ulnar collateral ligament, so Braves right-hander Brandon Beachy will undergo season-ending Tommy John elbow surgery tomorrow.
Beachy went from undrafted free agent in 2008 to National League leader in ERA this season, posting a 2.00 mark with a 68/29 K/BB ratio in 81 innings. And he was excellent as a rookie last season too, starting 25 games with a 3.68 ERA and 169/46 K/BB ratio in 142 innings.
And now he’s facing 12-18 months on the sidelines, although at age 25 there’s plenty of time for Beachy to make his way back and reestablish himself as a top-of-the-rotation starter.
Jair Jurrjens is scheduled to rejoin the Braves’ rotation Friday against the Red Sox despite posting a 5.27 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)