Jun 20, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
MLB wants no part of any feel good stories.
A couple of hours after I noted the presence of former Pirates stars Bill Mazeroski and Bill Virdon on the bench for this week’s series against the Twins, MLB has decided to put the kibosh on it.
MLB informed #Pirates that they can no longer have Bill Virdon and Bill Mazeroski on bench during games, Hurdle said.—
Bill Brink (@BrinkPG) June 20, 2012
I actually planned to write about Mazeroski and Verdon on Tuesday night, but I was looking for some word about how the arrangement materialized, given MLB’s limits on the number of coaches on the bench. Perhaps most notably, the league prevented the Red Sox from having 87-year-old Johnny Pesky in uniform as a seventh coach in the dugout in 2007.
MLB never chimed in then, though the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review noted how that the Pirates did seek and receive the Twins’ approval to have the two extra coaches in the dugout. Apparently, the league was willing to let it slide for one day, but not for any longer.
It’s silly to think the Pirates gained any meaningful advantage from this, and frankly, there’s no way the game could be harmed by teams occasionally bringing back players as honorary coaches. Still, MLB has decided a rule is a rule, even if it doesn’t benefit anyone.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)