Jun 20, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
MLB wants no part of any feel good stories.
A couple of hours after I noted the presence of former Pirates stars Bill Mazeroski and Bill Virdon on the bench for this week’s series against the Twins, MLB has decided to put the kibosh on it.
MLB informed #Pirates that they can no longer have Bill Virdon and Bill Mazeroski on bench during games, Hurdle said.—
Bill Brink (@BrinkPG) June 20, 2012
I actually planned to write about Mazeroski and Verdon on Tuesday night, but I was looking for some word about how the arrangement materialized, given MLB’s limits on the number of coaches on the bench. Perhaps most notably, the league prevented the Red Sox from having 87-year-old Johnny Pesky in uniform as a seventh coach in the dugout in 2007.
MLB never chimed in then, though the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review noted how that the Pirates did seek and receive the Twins’ approval to have the two extra coaches in the dugout. Apparently, the league was willing to let it slide for one day, but not for any longer.
It’s silly to think the Pirates gained any meaningful advantage from this, and frankly, there’s no way the game could be harmed by teams occasionally bringing back players as honorary coaches. Still, MLB has decided a rule is a rule, even if it doesn’t benefit anyone.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)