Jun 20, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
MLB wants no part of any feel good stories.
A couple of hours after I noted the presence of former Pirates stars Bill Mazeroski and Bill Virdon on the bench for this week’s series against the Twins, MLB has decided to put the kibosh on it.
MLB informed #Pirates that they can no longer have Bill Virdon and Bill Mazeroski on bench during games, Hurdle said.—
Bill Brink (@BrinkPG) June 20, 2012
I actually planned to write about Mazeroski and Verdon on Tuesday night, but I was looking for some word about how the arrangement materialized, given MLB’s limits on the number of coaches on the bench. Perhaps most notably, the league prevented the Red Sox from having 87-year-old Johnny Pesky in uniform as a seventh coach in the dugout in 2007.
MLB never chimed in then, though the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review noted how that the Pirates did seek and receive the Twins’ approval to have the two extra coaches in the dugout. Apparently, the league was willing to let it slide for one day, but not for any longer.
It’s silly to think the Pirates gained any meaningful advantage from this, and frankly, there’s no way the game could be harmed by teams occasionally bringing back players as honorary coaches. Still, MLB has decided a rule is a rule, even if it doesn’t benefit anyone.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)