Jun 20, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
Wang flopped in four starts, allowing 13 runs in 17.2 innings with more walks (14) than strikeouts (11) and a .364 opponents’ batting average.
Detwiler had a couple rough starts before the demotion, but his 3.88 ERA in nine total starts made the decision an iffy one in the first place and he pitched well as a reliever with a 1.35 ERA in 13.1 innings.
Wang going to the bullpen is more about simply removing him from the rotation, because he’s had issues warming up quickly in the past and is unlikely to be used as more than a mop-up man. Perhaps the Nationals simply aren’t ready to give up on him completely, but relief work seems unlikely to suit him.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)