Jun 20, 2012, 5:45 PM EST
Wang flopped in four starts, allowing 13 runs in 17.2 innings with more walks (14) than strikeouts (11) and a .364 opponents’ batting average.
Detwiler had a couple rough starts before the demotion, but his 3.88 ERA in nine total starts made the decision an iffy one in the first place and he pitched well as a reliever with a 1.35 ERA in 13.1 innings.
Wang going to the bullpen is more about simply removing him from the rotation, because he’s had issues warming up quickly in the past and is unlikely to be used as more than a mop-up man. Perhaps the Nationals simply aren’t ready to give up on him completely, but relief work seems unlikely to suit him.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)