Jun 20, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
Wang flopped in four starts, allowing 13 runs in 17.2 innings with more walks (14) than strikeouts (11) and a .364 opponents’ batting average.
Detwiler had a couple rough starts before the demotion, but his 3.88 ERA in nine total starts made the decision an iffy one in the first place and he pitched well as a reliever with a 1.35 ERA in 13.1 innings.
Wang going to the bullpen is more about simply removing him from the rotation, because he’s had issues warming up quickly in the past and is unlikely to be used as more than a mop-up man. Perhaps the Nationals simply aren’t ready to give up on him completely, but relief work seems unlikely to suit him.
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators