Jun 20, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
The Pirates had some extra help in the dugout Tuesday night, with Hall of Famer Bill Mazeroski and former center fielder Bill Virdon added to the coaching staff.
According to the Tribune-Review, the Pirates got permission from the Twins to add a couple of extra coaches for their series against Minnesota.
“This isn’t a fantasy camp thing; this isn’t spring training,” manager Clint Hurdle said. “We’re going to have them here to help coach and teach and have them at least feel part of it more throughout the game. We brought them in for them to bring us something, and hopefully we can give them something in return and everybody wins.”
Mazeroski, maybe the best defensive second baseman in major league history, was selected to the Hall of Fame by the Veteran’s Committee in 2001. He spent his entire 17-year career with the Pirates. Virdon was never an All-Star in the bigs, but his glove made him a regular in center for 11 seasons. He was also a two-time Manager of the Year, first with the Yankees and later with the Astros.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights