Jun 20, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
That the Tampa Bay Rays didn’t exist in 1979 isn’t going to stop them from participating in the “Turn Back the Clock” festivities on June 30. They unveiled their retro uniform Wednesday, with Joe Maddon doing the modeling.
The uniform itself certainly has the ’70s aesthetic. Still, it would have been nice if they could have gone with something different than the color scheme the Brewers and Mariners were using at the time. The logo, with the lower case “b” and the yellow wheel in the middle, is strikingly similar to the Brewers’ “b” with a baseball in the middle. I’m giving this a thumbs down.
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 5
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 53
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 75
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (178)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)