Jun 20, 2012, 4:24 PM EST
When the Rangers signed him last month Roy Oswalt said he’d need four starts in the minors to get ready and sure enough the 34-year-old veteran is now on his way to the majors after one start at Double-A and three starts at Triple-A.
Jeff Wilson of the Forth Worth Star Telegram reports that Oswalt will join the Rangers’ rotation Friday against the Rockies, which means his debut will come at home versus a National League team with a 25-41 record and the league’s second-worst road OPS.
That’s about as favorable as a first matchup can get and based on his stint in the minors Oswalt may need the help, as he totaled 15 innings with a 5.87 ERA, .308 opponents’ batting average, and 13/4 K/BB ratio. Of course, he can’t be any worse than Scott Feldman, who went 1-6 with a 6.43 ERA in eight starts stepping into the injury wrecked rotation and has now been demoted back to the bullpen to make room for Oswalt.
Oswalt started 23 games for the Phillies last season, logging 139 innings with a 3.69 ERA and 93/33 K/BB ratio while battling back problems that had him considering retirement. His one-year deal with the Rangers is worth $5 million, plus another $1 million in potential incentives.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)