Jun 20, 2012, 4:24 PM EDT
When the Rangers signed him last month Roy Oswalt said he’d need four starts in the minors to get ready and sure enough the 34-year-old veteran is now on his way to the majors after one start at Double-A and three starts at Triple-A.
Jeff Wilson of the Forth Worth Star Telegram reports that Oswalt will join the Rangers’ rotation Friday against the Rockies, which means his debut will come at home versus a National League team with a 25-41 record and the league’s second-worst road OPS.
That’s about as favorable as a first matchup can get and based on his stint in the minors Oswalt may need the help, as he totaled 15 innings with a 5.87 ERA, .308 opponents’ batting average, and 13/4 K/BB ratio. Of course, he can’t be any worse than Scott Feldman, who went 1-6 with a 6.43 ERA in eight starts stepping into the injury wrecked rotation and has now been demoted back to the bullpen to make room for Oswalt.
Oswalt started 23 games for the Phillies last season, logging 139 innings with a 3.69 ERA and 93/33 K/BB ratio while battling back problems that had him considering retirement. His one-year deal with the Rangers is worth $5 million, plus another $1 million in potential incentives.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 14
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 41
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)