Jun 20, 2012, 4:24 PM EDT
When the Rangers signed him last month Roy Oswalt said he’d need four starts in the minors to get ready and sure enough the 34-year-old veteran is now on his way to the majors after one start at Double-A and three starts at Triple-A.
Jeff Wilson of the Forth Worth Star Telegram reports that Oswalt will join the Rangers’ rotation Friday against the Rockies, which means his debut will come at home versus a National League team with a 25-41 record and the league’s second-worst road OPS.
That’s about as favorable as a first matchup can get and based on his stint in the minors Oswalt may need the help, as he totaled 15 innings with a 5.87 ERA, .308 opponents’ batting average, and 13/4 K/BB ratio. Of course, he can’t be any worse than Scott Feldman, who went 1-6 with a 6.43 ERA in eight starts stepping into the injury wrecked rotation and has now been demoted back to the bullpen to make room for Oswalt.
Oswalt started 23 games for the Phillies last season, logging 139 innings with a 3.69 ERA and 93/33 K/BB ratio while battling back problems that had him considering retirement. His one-year deal with the Rangers is worth $5 million, plus another $1 million in potential incentives.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)