Jun 20, 2012, 12:36 PM EST
Reds prospect Billy Hamilton, also known as the fastest man in baseball, was the victim of an armed robbery yesterday while in Winston Salem for the California League-Carolina League All-Star game.
Hamilton, who’s hitting .322 with an amazing 80 stolen bases in 66 games at high Single-A, was allegedly robbed by two men wielding a hand gun around midnight.
And according to WXII12.com minutes later an umpire working the All-Star game was also robbed on the same street, presumably by the same two men.
If this were a movie, of course, the robber would snatch Hamilton’s wallet and start running, at which point Hamilton would give him like a five-minute head start while twiddling his thumbs. And then chase him down with ease. Unfortunately the presence of a gun–and Hamilton being smarter than a movie script–kind of ruled that out.
Alanis Morissette would call this whole story ironic. Oh, and Hamilton had two stolen bases and was named MVP of the All-Star game. Obviously.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)