Stolen base king Billy Hamilton victim of armed robbery

Jun 20, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT

Billy Hamilton, Zack Cozart AP

Reds prospect Billy Hamilton, also known as the fastest man in baseball, was the victim of an armed robbery yesterday while in Winston Salem for the California League-Carolina League All-Star game.

Hamilton, who’s hitting .322 with an amazing 80 stolen bases in 66 games at high Single-A, was allegedly robbed by two men wielding a hand gun around midnight.

And according to WXII12.com minutes later an umpire working the All-Star game was also robbed on the same street, presumably by the same two men.

If this were a movie, of course, the robber would snatch Hamilton’s wallet and start running, at which point Hamilton would give him like a five-minute head start while twiddling his thumbs. And then chase him down with ease. Unfortunately the presence of a gun–and Hamilton being smarter than a movie script–kind of ruled that out.

Alanis Morissette would call this whole story ironic. Oh, and Hamilton had two stolen bases and was named MVP of the All-Star game. Obviously.

1. b7p19 - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I am really excited for this kid. I would love to see someone make a run at Rickey’s 130 in the majors. I just hope his on base skills translate to the bigs or it won’t matter.

2. goawaydog - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

This kid might be a prince or a duke but Rickey Henderson is still the King of stolen bases.

• florida727 - Jun 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Thanks for the post, Rickey.

3. phisticuffs - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Of course, Alanis should have called her song “Isn’t That Unfortunate?”, but that’s a story for another time . . . .

• sabatimus - Jun 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM

The fact that Aaron invoked that name makes me want to vomit.

4. kopy - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Another great movie plot would be if the theives ran away for a few blocks or so, and then turn a corner into an alley and slow down only to see Billy Hamilton already standing there waiting for them.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I’m just glad everyone’s okay. Are there robbers out there now who want to rob MLB employees? I mean, I know they’re obvious financial targets, but I hope this stops here.

6. thebigwhitecat - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM

“was allegedly robbed by two men wielding a hand gun ”

Both of them were wielding it?

“was allegedly robbed by two men, one of whom was wielding a hand gun. “

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I’m guessing one of them was. That’s not the point.

• sabatimus - Jun 20, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Correct, it’s not, but if you’re writing a blog you probably want to get your English correct.

• drewsylvania - Jun 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM

But it’s funnier to think of two men wielding a single hand gun.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 20, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Saba, you are correct – but given the circumstance, I wanted to overlook it. Typo’s happen.

7. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Jun 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM

From the WXII12.com website……………

“No one was injured. Police believe the suspects left in a light blue Pontiac Grand Am with no rims.”

I guess he was robbed by Fred and Barney, or other residents of Bedrock.

8. marshmallowsnake - Jun 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks you’d better run, better run, outrun my gun.

9. 49ersgiants4life - Jun 22, 2012 at 4:42 AM

Beast mode!

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2482)