Jun 20, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
The Yankees have been so good recently that it’s actually news when they lose a game.
After winning 10 straight games, the Bombers were cut down 4-3 by the Braves last night. The Yankees had plenty of chances, especially early on against Tim Hudson, but went just 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position. They also had two runners thrown out at the plate.
Hudson was shaky in the victory, allowing three runs (two earned) on four hits and five walks over five innings. Fortunately for the Braves, the bullpen came up big, as Chad Durbin, Jonny Venters, Eric O’Flaherty and Craig Kimbrel combined to give up just one hit over four innings of shutout relief. Jason Heyward drove in the go-ahead run in the top of the sixth inning with a hard-hit single which deflected off Mark Teixeira‘s left heel.
And so, the Yankees fell short of their first 11-game winning streak since 1985. Of course, that hasn’t stopped them from making the playoffs in 16 out of the last 17 seasons. The Yankees will enter play this afternoon at 41-26, two and a half games in front of the Orioles in the American League East.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 34
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)