Jun 20, 2012, 12:17 PM EST
The Yankees have been so good recently that it’s actually news when they lose a game.
After winning 10 straight games, the Bombers were cut down 4-3 by the Braves last night. The Yankees had plenty of chances, especially early on against Tim Hudson, but went just 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position. They also had two runners thrown out at the plate.
Hudson was shaky in the victory, allowing three runs (two earned) on four hits and five walks over five innings. Fortunately for the Braves, the bullpen came up big, as Chad Durbin, Jonny Venters, Eric O’Flaherty and Craig Kimbrel combined to give up just one hit over four innings of shutout relief. Jason Heyward drove in the go-ahead run in the top of the sixth inning with a hard-hit single which deflected off Mark Teixeira‘s left heel.
And so, the Yankees fell short of their first 11-game winning streak since 1985. Of course, that hasn’t stopped them from making the playoffs in 16 out of the last 17 seasons. The Yankees will enter play this afternoon at 41-26, two and a half games in front of the Orioles in the American League East.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (117)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)