Jun 20, 2012, 11:16 AM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki was pulled from a minor league rehab game a week ago after having a setback with his left groin injury, but he’s still looking for answers on the reason for his continued discomfort.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Tulowitzki has already made a pair of visits this week to sports hernia specialist Dr. Bill Meyers in Philadelphia. He’s scheduled to undergo another MRI today, after which the Rockies will determine a course of action.
“We have a pretty good idea what it is, but we are not going to say anything until we know exactly,” Rockies head athletic trainer Keith Dugger told The Denver Post. “(Wednesday), we see the doctor again and we will go from there.”
It’s all speculation for now, but there are concerns that a hip injury from last season might be contributing to his current groin issue. If it is determined that he is dealing with either a sports hernia or another hip labrum issue and surgery is required, Tulowitzki could miss as much as two months. However, if it’s a groin strain like was initially diagnosed, he could be back within a few weeks.
Tulowitzki was hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight home runs, 27 RBI and an .846 OPS through 47 games prior to the injury. The Rockies are really missing his production at the moment, as they have lost 11 out of 12 games to fall to 25-41 on the year.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 53
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)