Jun 20, 2012, 11:16 AM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki was pulled from a minor league rehab game a week ago after having a setback with his left groin injury, but he’s still looking for answers on the reason for his continued discomfort.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Tulowitzki has already made a pair of visits this week to sports hernia specialist Dr. Bill Meyers in Philadelphia. He’s scheduled to undergo another MRI today, after which the Rockies will determine a course of action.
“We have a pretty good idea what it is, but we are not going to say anything until we know exactly,” Rockies head athletic trainer Keith Dugger told The Denver Post. “(Wednesday), we see the doctor again and we will go from there.”
It’s all speculation for now, but there are concerns that a hip injury from last season might be contributing to his current groin issue. If it is determined that he is dealing with either a sports hernia or another hip labrum issue and surgery is required, Tulowitzki could miss as much as two months. However, if it’s a groin strain like was initially diagnosed, he could be back within a few weeks.
Tulowitzki was hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight home runs, 27 RBI and an .846 OPS through 47 games prior to the injury. The Rockies are really missing his production at the moment, as they have lost 11 out of 12 games to fall to 25-41 on the year.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 5
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 43
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 31
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)