Jun 20, 2012, 11:16 AM EST
Troy Tulowitzki was pulled from a minor league rehab game a week ago after having a setback with his left groin injury, but he’s still looking for answers on the reason for his continued discomfort.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Tulowitzki has already made a pair of visits this week to sports hernia specialist Dr. Bill Meyers in Philadelphia. He’s scheduled to undergo another MRI today, after which the Rockies will determine a course of action.
“We have a pretty good idea what it is, but we are not going to say anything until we know exactly,” Rockies head athletic trainer Keith Dugger told The Denver Post. “(Wednesday), we see the doctor again and we will go from there.”
It’s all speculation for now, but there are concerns that a hip injury from last season might be contributing to his current groin issue. If it is determined that he is dealing with either a sports hernia or another hip labrum issue and surgery is required, Tulowitzki could miss as much as two months. However, if it’s a groin strain like was initially diagnosed, he could be back within a few weeks.
Tulowitzki was hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight home runs, 27 RBI and an .846 OPS through 47 games prior to the injury. The Rockies are really missing his production at the moment, as they have lost 11 out of 12 games to fall to 25-41 on the year.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)