Jun 20, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT
The Rockies finally know what’s ailing Troy Tulowitzki; he was diagnosed with a kind of athletic pubalgia most commonly known as Hockey Goalie/Baseball Pitcher Syndrome after another examination Wednesday. He’ll undergo surgery Thursday, and there is no timetable for his return.
Hockey Goalie/Baseball Pitcher Syndrome is one of a number of different versions of athletic pubalgia, which are injuries that involve tears in the groin areas. My 15 minutes of research indicates that it takes about eight weeks to recover from the surgery, meaning Tulo should be able to make it back at some point this season, even if it’s just for September.
With Tulowitzki sidelined, the Rockies likely just went from probable to definite sellers in advance of the trade deadline. They’re currently 25-41, putting them 16 games back of the Dodgers in the NL West.
Tulowitzki was hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight homers and 27 RBI before he landed on the disabled list May 31. His absence has caused the Rockies to slide Marco Scutaro from second base to shortstop, with Chris Nelson taking over at second.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)