Jun 20, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT
The Rockies finally know what’s ailing Troy Tulowitzki; he was diagnosed with a kind of athletic pubalgia most commonly known as Hockey Goalie/Baseball Pitcher Syndrome after another examination Wednesday. He’ll undergo surgery Thursday, and there is no timetable for his return.
Hockey Goalie/Baseball Pitcher Syndrome is one of a number of different versions of athletic pubalgia, which are injuries that involve tears in the groin areas. My 15 minutes of research indicates that it takes about eight weeks to recover from the surgery, meaning Tulo should be able to make it back at some point this season, even if it’s just for September.
With Tulowitzki sidelined, the Rockies likely just went from probable to definite sellers in advance of the trade deadline. They’re currently 25-41, putting them 16 games back of the Dodgers in the NL West.
Tulowitzki was hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight homers and 27 RBI before he landed on the disabled list May 31. His absence has caused the Rockies to slide Marco Scutaro from second base to shortstop, with Chris Nelson taking over at second.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)