Jun 20, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT
The Rockies finally know what’s ailing Troy Tulowitzki; he was diagnosed with a kind of athletic pubalgia most commonly known as Hockey Goalie/Baseball Pitcher Syndrome after another examination Wednesday. He’ll undergo surgery Thursday, and there is no timetable for his return.
Hockey Goalie/Baseball Pitcher Syndrome is one of a number of different versions of athletic pubalgia, which are injuries that involve tears in the groin areas. My 15 minutes of research indicates that it takes about eight weeks to recover from the surgery, meaning Tulo should be able to make it back at some point this season, even if it’s just for September.
With Tulowitzki sidelined, the Rockies likely just went from probable to definite sellers in advance of the trade deadline. They’re currently 25-41, putting them 16 games back of the Dodgers in the NL West.
Tulowitzki was hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight homers and 27 RBI before he landed on the disabled list May 31. His absence has caused the Rockies to slide Marco Scutaro from second base to shortstop, with Chris Nelson taking over at second.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)