Jun 20, 2012, 5:18 PM EST
The Rockies finally know what’s ailing Troy Tulowitzki; he was diagnosed with a kind of athletic pubalgia most commonly known as Hockey Goalie/Baseball Pitcher Syndrome after another examination Wednesday. He’ll undergo surgery Thursday, and there is no timetable for his return.
Hockey Goalie/Baseball Pitcher Syndrome is one of a number of different versions of athletic pubalgia, which are injuries that involve tears in the groin areas. My 15 minutes of research indicates that it takes about eight weeks to recover from the surgery, meaning Tulo should be able to make it back at some point this season, even if it’s just for September.
With Tulowitzki sidelined, the Rockies likely just went from probable to definite sellers in advance of the trade deadline. They’re currently 25-41, putting them 16 games back of the Dodgers in the NL West.
Tulowitzki was hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight homers and 27 RBI before he landed on the disabled list May 31. His absence has caused the Rockies to slide Marco Scutaro from second base to shortstop, with Chris Nelson taking over at second.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (271)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)