Jun 20, 2012, 2:24 PM EST
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that the Yankees have signed Omar Luis Rodriguez, a 19-year-old left-hander who defected from Cuba and was declared a free agent earlier this month.
According to Sanchez it’s a minor-league contract, which means Rodriguez won’t need to be added to the 40-man roster, but the Yankees are paying big-league money at around $4-5 million.
Sanchez reported previously that the Dodgers, Royals, and Phillies were interested in Rodriguez, who avoids the new collective bargaining agreement’s limits on international spending by signing before July 2.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)