Jun 20, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
Cespedes has played in just one game since June 7 due to a strained hamstring and wasn’t able to make it past the second inning in that affair. He’s serving as the A’s designated hitter on Wednesday, and will attempt to make it through all nine frames.
The 26-year-old Cuban is batting .273/.336/.485 with six home runs, eight doubles, four stolen bases and 26 RBI through the first 146 plate appearances of his major league career. He signed a four-year, $36 million free agent contract back in mid-February.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 0
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (80)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)