Jun 20, 2012, 7:31 PM EST
Cespedes has played in just one game since June 7 due to a strained hamstring and wasn’t able to make it past the second inning in that affair. He’s serving as the A’s designated hitter on Wednesday, and will attempt to make it through all nine frames.
The 26-year-old Cuban is batting .273/.336/.485 with six home runs, eight doubles, four stolen bases and 26 RBI through the first 146 plate appearances of his major league career. He signed a four-year, $36 million free agent contract back in mid-February.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)