Jun 20, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
Cespedes has played in just one game since June 7 due to a strained hamstring and wasn’t able to make it past the second inning in that affair. He’s serving as the A’s designated hitter on Wednesday, and will attempt to make it through all nine frames.
The 26-year-old Cuban is batting .273/.336/.485 with six home runs, eight doubles, four stolen bases and 26 RBI through the first 146 plate appearances of his major league career. He signed a four-year, $36 million free agent contract back in mid-February.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)