Coming soon: Official “That’s a clown question, bro” t-shirts

Jun 21, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT

Bryce Harper Reuters Reuters

Already tired of your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers dropping “That’s a clown question, bro” references over the past week? Well, this might not be the story for you.

According to Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com, Bryce Harper told Comcast SportsNet’s Kelli Johnson before tonight’s game against the Rays that Under Armour, with whom he has an endorsement deal, will begin selling official t-shirts with the phrase that quickly became a viral sensation.

Sarah Kogod of the Washington Post did a bit more digging via the U.S. Patent and Trademark database and found that one day after Harper made the quote in Toronto, someone on his behalf applied to trademark the phrase for “wearing apparel, namely, shirts, t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, pants, shorts, hats, visors, gloves, shoes.” That’s pretty smart business, even though we’ll probably see all of these items on discount racks a few months from now.

1. cosanostra71 - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I think the quote is funny and I like Harper, but if I ever see anyone I know wearing one of these shirts, our friendship will be over.

2. brewcrewfan54 - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:16 AM

How can you trademark this? If I decide to say the same thing to my friend do I owe Harper some money?

• iclight79 - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Here’s some light reading for you. You’ll feel better after answering your questions yourself.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

That’s a clown response bro.’

• paperlions - Jun 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM

…and whatever you do, don’t suggest that someone take 5 minutes to google an easily found topic to answer their own question instead of being lazy and just asking someone else to do the work for them.

• ravensgrl - Jun 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM

254 pages? That’s a clown link, bro

3. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:18 AM

That’s a clown T-shirt, bro.

• bigharold - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Perhaps but I’ll bet they sell more than the “get off my mound” shirts.

4. sawxalicious - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I think on a few months all the shirts they make will end up in third world countries where they don’t even have any clowns….

5. 49ersgiants4life - Jun 22, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Why would a reporter ask someone if he legally did something. That’s like saying hey did you buy those shoes? Clown questions

• kkolchak - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM

The clown is the knucklehead who doesn’t understand that it was actually a TRAP question, bro.

6. btwicey - Jun 22, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Love this kid. Gonna be a fun 15 years

7. koufaxmitzvah - Jun 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Someone should sell a Bryce Harper hair wig. Is it a mohawk? Is it a mullet? Whatever it is, it’s gonna look great after you toss your helmet rounding first.

• natstowngreg - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Harper hasn’t lost his helmet rounding bases since his first hit at Dodger Stadium. That’s a clown cheap shot, bro.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM

But I would still take the total package that Pete Rose brought to the table over Larry Jones. Hahaha!

8. sleepyirv - Jun 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I believe this is what Lou Brown meant when he said, “now we just need something to tie everything together.”

9. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM