Jun 21, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
After missing three weeks with a back injury Jered Weaver came off the disabled list yesterday and shut out the Giants for six innings.
Being on a limited pitch count in his first start back kept Weaver from a potential complete-game shutout, as he needed just 78 pitches to get 18 outs and allowed just two hits before exiting.
Weaver left his May 28 start against the Yankees in the first inning with what initially appeared to be a serious back injury, but was diagnosed with merely a strain and reported no problems following last night’s outing.
His back problems will loom as a potential issue, but Weaver sliced his AL-leading ERA to 2.40 and also leads the league in WHIP at 0.91.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (270)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)