Jun 21, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
After missing three weeks with a back injury Jered Weaver came off the disabled list yesterday and shut out the Giants for six innings.
Being on a limited pitch count in his first start back kept Weaver from a potential complete-game shutout, as he needed just 78 pitches to get 18 outs and allowed just two hits before exiting.
Weaver left his May 28 start against the Yankees in the first inning with what initially appeared to be a serious back injury, but was diagnosed with merely a strain and reported no problems following last night’s outing.
His back problems will loom as a potential issue, but Weaver sliced his AL-leading ERA to 2.40 and also leads the league in WHIP at 0.91.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11