Jun 21, 2012, 9:35 AM EST
After missing three weeks with a back injury Jered Weaver came off the disabled list yesterday and shut out the Giants for six innings.
Being on a limited pitch count in his first start back kept Weaver from a potential complete-game shutout, as he needed just 78 pitches to get 18 outs and allowed just two hits before exiting.
Weaver left his May 28 start against the Yankees in the first inning with what initially appeared to be a serious back injury, but was diagnosed with merely a strain and reported no problems following last night’s outing.
His back problems will loom as a potential issue, but Weaver sliced his AL-leading ERA to 2.40 and also leads the league in WHIP at 0.91.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)