Jun 21, 2012, 12:36 PM EST
Scott Feldman began the season as a long reliever, shifted to starting again when injuries struck the Rangers’ rotation, and is now headed back to the bullpen thanks to Roy Oswalt’s impending arrival.
And he’s not happy about the constantly changing role, telling Sarah Trotto of ESPN Dallas:
It’s just tough to keep going back and forth. That’s the main thing. Moving back and forth, it’s how you hurt your arm. It’s how you get hurt. I’m not happy. Basically, telling me that I’m not in the plans for the second time this year, spring training and then now, that’s fine, if I’m not in their plans. But it doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it.
There’s certainly some truth behind what Feldman is saying, but he’s the one who blew a chance to remain in the rotation by going 1-6 with a 6.43 ERA in eight starts. Had he gone 6-1 with a 3.43 ERA or even 3-4 with a 4.43 ERA the Rangers likely would be sticking with him as a starter instead of choosing to keep Double-A call-up Justin Grimm in the rotation alongside Oswalt instead.
Dating back to the beginning of 2010 he has a 10-18 record and 5.35 ERA in 215 total innings, which leaves Feldman little room to complain about much of anything and little reason to criticize the Rangers for treating him like someone no longer in their long-term plans. He’s only on the team because of a two-year, $11.5 million contract extension signed coming off a career-year in 2009. The Rangers are probably “not happy” with how things have gone since then either.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 72
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 26
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)