Jun 21, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
Scott Feldman began the season as a long reliever, shifted to starting again when injuries struck the Rangers’ rotation, and is now headed back to the bullpen thanks to Roy Oswalt’s impending arrival.
And he’s not happy about the constantly changing role, telling Sarah Trotto of ESPN Dallas:
It’s just tough to keep going back and forth. That’s the main thing. Moving back and forth, it’s how you hurt your arm. It’s how you get hurt. I’m not happy. Basically, telling me that I’m not in the plans for the second time this year, spring training and then now, that’s fine, if I’m not in their plans. But it doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it.
There’s certainly some truth behind what Feldman is saying, but he’s the one who blew a chance to remain in the rotation by going 1-6 with a 6.43 ERA in eight starts. Had he gone 6-1 with a 3.43 ERA or even 3-4 with a 4.43 ERA the Rangers likely would be sticking with him as a starter instead of choosing to keep Double-A call-up Justin Grimm in the rotation alongside Oswalt instead.
Dating back to the beginning of 2010 he has a 10-18 record and 5.35 ERA in 215 total innings, which leaves Feldman little room to complain about much of anything and little reason to criticize the Rangers for treating him like someone no longer in their long-term plans. He’s only on the team because of a two-year, $11.5 million contract extension signed coming off a career-year in 2009. The Rangers are probably “not happy” with how things have gone since then either.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)