Scott Feldman on demotion to bullpen: “I’m not happy”

Jun 21, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT

Scott Feldman pitches against the Detroit Tigers during the third inning in Game 2 of their MLB American League Championship Series baseball playoffs in Arlington Reuters

Scott Feldman began the season as a long reliever, shifted to starting again when injuries struck the Rangers’ rotation, and is now headed back to the bullpen thanks to Roy Oswalt’s impending arrival.

And he’s not happy about the constantly changing role, telling Sarah Trotto of ESPN Dallas:

It’s just tough to keep going back and forth. That’s the main thing. Moving back and forth, it’s how you hurt your arm. It’s how you get hurt. I’m not happy. Basically, telling me that I’m not in the plans for the second time this year, spring training and then now, that’s fine, if I’m not in their plans. But it doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it.

There’s certainly some truth behind what Feldman is saying, but he’s the one who blew a chance to remain in the rotation by going 1-6 with a 6.43 ERA in eight starts. Had he gone 6-1 with a 3.43 ERA or even 3-4 with a 4.43 ERA the Rangers likely would be sticking with him as a starter instead of choosing to keep Double-A call-up Justin Grimm in the rotation alongside Oswalt instead.

Dating back to the beginning of 2010 he has a 10-18 record and 5.35 ERA in 215 total innings, which leaves Feldman little room to complain about much of anything and little reason to criticize the Rangers for treating him like someone no longer in their long-term plans. He’s only on the team because of a two-year, $11.5 million contract extension signed coming off a career-year in 2009. The Rangers are probably “not happy” with how things have gone since then either.

1. bigtunany - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I’m willing to bet that Craig would have gone with the “Great Moments in Chutzpah: Scott Feldman Edition” headline.

2. beefytrout - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM

It’s tough to feel bad for the guy, but I will admit that his last 2 starts were serviceable. He had a few rough starts, and didn’t get much run support. But c’mon, they only put him in the rotation because 2 guys went down… no way he didn’t know he was headed back to the ‘pen.

Every Rangers fan I know wants him out of the rotation ASAP.

• JustMeMike - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM

No one should feel bad for the guy – this is baseball, and this is the way things happen. On the other hand, what is he supposed to say, “Thanks for the wonderful opportunity of being a long man out of the pen?”

Doesn’t much matter what he says because it is still better than being demoted to the minors. As I, said this is baseball.

When Derek Holland comes off the DL, someone will be sent to the minors. When Feliz comes off the DL, there will be more ripples in the Texas bullpen. I think Feliz will more than likely be give the role of setting up for Joe Nathan.

When Daniel Bard was demoted to Sox Triple A team, he said he wasn’t happy about but what can I do, I am the employee…

Such is life in the bigs – what have you done for me lately is always going to be the underlying theme.

• beefytrout - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:31 PM

When Feliz comes back, that’s going to make the most waves. Holland’s spot in the lineup is cemented, so it’s going to be Lewis/Holland/Harrison/Darvish/Oswalt. Sorry, Neffy, but you’re the odd man out. And I’m sure he would want to close if he can’t start, but Nathan has the closer role locked up airtight.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Feliz gets shipped out if a decent deal comes along.

• meyerwolf - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Come on, Beefy. They ain’t going to move a 24 year old potential ace who makes 500k just because they’ve got Oswalt around for this season. Not unless someone makes an insane offer.

• beefytrout - Jun 21, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Stranger things have happened… Where does Feliz fit in, really? They’re going to throw him back into the bullpen and then restart the conversion to starting pitcher next year? I guess, but I gotta think that’s gonna jack with his head a little. And a “24-year old potential ace” might just draw an insane offer from a team.

3. pw38 - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Yeah Scooter didn’t help his case any by allowing so many runs. He didn’t really get run support but part of it was because a team sometime presses when presented with an early deficit repeatedly by the same pitcher. I like the guy and he has a place but if he wants to be a starter he needs to show it. I doubt he’ll be back next year and I doubt the Rangers will miss him. Thanks for the memories Scooter!

4. djpostl - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Feldman just shut it. Your scrub ass got a chance and was rather John Lackey-ish yet still have a spot on one of the best rosters in the big leagues (and thus a ring).

All the while you’re making hundreds of thousands of dollars.

• dangle13x - Jun 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM

counting your rings in June? Yea well you just lost all credibility, thanks for palying.

5. Joe - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Fake Wash comment:

“It’s just tough to keep going back and forth. That’s the main thing. Moving guys back and forth, it’s how you hurt your rotation. It’s how you lose games. I’m not happy. Basically, telling me that he’s not going to be an effective starter for the second time this year, spring training and then now. That’s fine, if he’s not up to the job. But it doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it.”

6. xmatt0926x - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM

We’ve all known people like this in all aspects of life. They just don’t get it and they never take any responsibility or demand anything of themselves. It’s always “everyone is against me!”. He’s the guy who goes home after another bad game and tells his wife about the shortstop who should have been able to snag that laser shot through the infield or he tells her how the umpire just had it in for him that night. You had a chance to prove yourself. You failed miserably. You’re just not that good. Grow up and deal with reality.

7. stex52 - Jun 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM

We’re probably being a little tough on Feldman’s response. No question he should be in line for demotion. But remember, when you go home at night from a bad day, there’s not a female reporter there sticking a micorphone in your face. Imagine what you might say at just that moment.

8. bshook87 - Jun 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM

sweet, let’s trade him

• dirkified - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM

We are VERY deep in pitching. With Gentry and Snyder really starting to impress.. We can be a force for many years. Most people do not know a lot of these guys make well under $1mill a year. Credit goes to the front office for putting this team together..

9. gnyy69 - Jun 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Well he hasn’t pitched well in the rotation this is the right move the Rangers made

10. spikeintn - Jun 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Feldman has pitched a LOT better than the record. The defense sabotaged him in the last three starts, and even some of the earned runs were the result of poor defense. I hope some other team has been watching him, and is not unduly influenced by the stats….He will be a winning starter for a team with good defensive infield play.

• dirkified - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:25 PM

uhhm, the Rangers have one of the best defensive infields in the league.. ohh and outfield.. ohh and hitting, ohh and pitching..

Scott was great last year “when he came back from injury”. He needs to get his stuff together so he can contribute to our first WS Championship!! He needs to sit. It is not our fault we have a deep starting rotation. I bet he will be back and good to go.

• beefytrout - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Hate to break it to you, but the Rangers are near the bottom of the league defensively. At least as far as # of errors go.

11. dirkified - Jun 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Scott played great in his limited role last year because of injury. Scott never had a chance to bail himself out once this year. If he had a few guys on, he would get pulled and the reliever would let those runs score. However, Scott, you dug the holes.. Should the Rangers let you dig the hole a little deeper or should they see if you fill it up.. not sure. YOU PLAY ON A GREAT TEAM..

SO SHUT YOUR FACE AND SIT DOWN!!!

12. dirkified - Jun 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Cannot wait to see Oswalt.. sorry Scott!!!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3017)