Jun 21, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
Stephen Drew hasn’t played in a major league game since undergoing right ankle surgery 11 months ago, but he’s finally close to rejoining the Diamondbacks’ lineup.
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said on Arizona Sports Radio 620 earlier today that the team is hopeful that Drew will be activated from the disabled list next Wednesday.
Drew began his rehab assignment with Triple-A Reno earlier this month and is hitting .250 (8-for-32) with two homers, five RBI and an .865 OPS over eight games. The 29-year-old shortstop was eased into game action initially, but he recently began playing in back-to-back games. He is scheduled to leave the team for a couple of days following a death in the family, but Towers said he should join Double-A Mobile on Sunday to resume his rehab assignment.
“Probably Sunday/Monday hopefully Mobile for two days, Tuesday recovery day, and hopefully Wednesday he’s activated in Atlanta,” Towers said.
Drew is a .270/.330/.442 hitter over his first six seasons in the majors. He’ll be a welcome addition to the lineup, although Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson recently suggested that he expects to give him regular rest upon his return.
There’s a pretty good chance that this will be Drew’s final season with Arizona, as neither side appears likely to exercise his $10 million option for 2013 and Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick recently expressed frustration about his lengthy rehab process.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 1
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)