White Sox-Cubs drama: Alejandro De Aza thinks Manny Corpas hit him on purpose

Jun 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

De-Aza_Alejandro

White Sox outfielder Alejandro De Aza and Cubs reliever Manny Corpas are off-field friends, but that didn’t stop them from creating some drama in the Chicago interleague series yesterday.

With the White Sox up 7-0 in the eighth inning Corpas came into the game and plunked De Aza on the leg with his first pitch, presumably because Alex Rios attempted a stolen base up 6-0 in the previous inning. Or something.

Whatever the case, De Aza said afterward that he thinks it was intentional:

I don’t know, but the way he threw that ball, I think it was on purpose. I did face him before. Actually, me and that pitcher, we’re cool, we’re friends. I’ve known him for a long time. I think they just told him to hit the first guy.

Cubs manager Dale Sveum predictably downplayed the topic when asked, saying: “I don’t know. He hit him. It happens sometimes.”

Yes, “sometimes” like when a manager tells a pitcher to hit a batter in a blowout.

1. xsherr - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Lady GaGa titled her song after him. He’s a beast.

2. mybrunoblog - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM

This just in……Hey Alejandro, he did hit you on purpose. That’s why he threw it at your thigh.

3. sillyv6 - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Hello pot, this is the kettle calling!!

The White Sox are the last team to call anyone out on throwing at someone.

Shut up, keep your mouth shut or get beaned again.

There is no crying in baseball!

4. natsattack - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Remember when Corpas was the Rockie’s closer?
    His control is gone, if he had tried to hit him it would have been a strike.

• Bryz - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Walking less than 3 hitters per 9 innings this season isn’t my idea of “his control is gone.”

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM

De Aza should have stolen second and third at that point. Take a page out of Harper’s book. Don’t talk about it to the press, make the pitcher/opposing team pay on the field.

Plus, that would have been 2 SBs and probably a run for my fantasy team, so he really should have done that.

6. foreverchipper10 - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I thought the title said there was drama because Corpas hit on De Aza.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4993)