Jun 21, 2012, 10:01 AM EST
Claudia Manrique initially claimed that a man entered the room posing as a maintenance worker, but under questioning her story repeatedly changed. She eventually admitted to first meeting the man at a local convenience store, telling police that he stole her wallet and demanded to know the room number where she and Chapman were staying.
There was also a bag containing $200,000 in Chapman’s jewelry, yet somehow that wasn’t stolen and Manrique failed to explain to police how that happened or why the robber knew about the pitcher’s involvement in the first place.
The story is as weird now as it was then, but in the meantime Manrique has been charged with falsifying a police report. One thing we do know: She was in the hotel room because, as Chapman later admitted, Manrique met him in April and frequently stayed with him in different cities during Reds road trips. Everything else? Who knows.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)