Jun 21, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT
Claudia Manrique initially claimed that a man entered the room posing as a maintenance worker, but under questioning her story repeatedly changed. She eventually admitted to first meeting the man at a local convenience store, telling police that he stole her wallet and demanded to know the room number where she and Chapman were staying.
There was also a bag containing $200,000 in Chapman’s jewelry, yet somehow that wasn’t stolen and Manrique failed to explain to police how that happened or why the robber knew about the pitcher’s involvement in the first place.
The story is as weird now as it was then, but in the meantime Manrique has been charged with falsifying a police report. One thing we do know: She was in the hotel room because, as Chapman later admitted, Manrique met him in April and frequently stayed with him in different cities during Reds road trips. Everything else? Who knows.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)