Woman found tied up in Aroldis Chapman’s hotel room charged with lying to police

Jun 21, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

Last month Aroldis Chapman‘s hotel room in Pittsburgh was robbed and police found a woman inside tied up.

Claudia Manrique initially claimed that a man entered the room posing as a maintenance worker, but under questioning her story repeatedly changed. She eventually admitted to first meeting the man at a local convenience store, telling police that he stole her wallet and demanded to know the room number where she and Chapman were staying.

There was also a bag containing $200,000 in Chapman’s jewelry, yet somehow that wasn’t stolen and Manrique failed to explain to police how that happened or why the robber knew about the pitcher’s involvement in the first place.

The story is as weird now as it was then, but in the meantime Manrique has been charged with falsifying a police report. One thing we do know: She was in the hotel room because, as Chapman later admitted, Manrique met him in April and frequently stayed with him in different cities during Reds road trips. Everything else? Who knows.

1. ThisIsBaseball - Jun 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Not judging… but doesn’t he have a girlfriend and a daughter he’s never seen back home in Cuba?

• florida727 - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Don’t know if he’s “never seen them” per se, but if you want to see what a low-life this guy is, read his Wikipedia page. Holy cow…

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I just read his Wikipedia page. I didn’t see anything glaring that would indicate he was a “low-life.” Everything on his Wikipedia page has already been well documented.
        He left his little girl in Cuba when he defected. Certainly unfortunate for his former girlfriend and little girl. But unless they defect with you this is gonna’ be the case with everyone who defects while in a relationship and/or has a child. Certainly not good for the kid.
        But it’s kind of what happens when one defects.

• ThisIsBaseball - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I never got the impression he was a “low life.” I just remember reading that just after he defected his girlfriend gave birth to their daughter. I know that happens when one defects, but I guess I just thought he’d remain loyal. I guess that’s just me being naive.

2. frenchy121212 - Jun 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

He will never see them again.

• ThisIsBaseball - Jun 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I always thought he still supported them. Am I mistaken to think that?

3. chill1184 - Jun 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I think it would be wise for Chapman to stop seeing this woman.

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 21, 2012 at 2:57 PM

or continue to, because how much worse could it get?

• chill1184 - Jun 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM

See Kobe Bryant, Mike Tyson, or Tiger Woods for example

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM

She sounds fun.

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Tied up? Hanging from the chandelier in a rotating wicker basket? Taped spreadeagled across the bed? Shackled by her ankles to the shower spigot? How many ways can you spell F-U-N?

• badintent - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Easy son, your mind gonna wander and so is the road Keep your hands on the wheel and out of your pockets.Big rig driving is going in harm’s way.Stay safe and use condoms.And leave the shower spigots to the pros.

5. southpaw2k - Jun 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Good lord, first we had the Brian Banks story earlier this year, and now this woman is trying to extort Aroldis Chapman? I hope these women see some serious prison time in falsifying police reports and criminal accusations.

6. charlutes - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Is female company only permissible if a dude spends three months salary on a useless piece of finger bling? What on earth is wrong with Chapman having this girl around? Why does it seem like he’s being painted as anything but a robbery victim?

• papalurchdxb - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM

jealousy that we don’t all have a woman on call in every in every city? i know i am

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I do have a woman on call in every city, and in many small rural backwaters, and all along the interstate system.

I’m married to her and she’s got one of those little satellite tracking gizmos in my cellphone.

• stex52 - Jun 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

For the obvious reason that her stories make no sense. Chapman can do what he wants, as long as he doesn’t break the law. But common sense would dictate he might want to find another source of companionship. He may be out $200,000 next time.

7. paulhargis53 - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Gotta love crazy chicks.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 21, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Crazy is inferred when you type chicks

8. drewsylvania - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Starting to wonder if Chapman will get kicked out of the league as fast as he got in.

• cggarb - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Who would “kick him out” of the league? Chapman hasn’t broken any rule or law, other than the I-71 speed limit.

• drewsylvania - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM

He hasn’t been shown to have done illegal things, it’s true, and I hope he hasn’t done them. But there’s rumors building. A tied-up woman who lied to police. A man suing him claiming Chapman owes him hush money.

Strange things to happen to someone who runs with the right crowd.

• stex52 - Jun 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Agreed that Chapman certainly sounds like a low life. But I have a hard time seeing how that will have any effect on his career as long as he can bring the fast ball.

• drewsylvania - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM

(not referring to cggarb) I see the knee-jerk nonthinkers have showed up for their usually sheepthink downthumbs.

• drewsylvania - Jun 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I guess I awoke the sheeple.

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Is she a redhead? I bet she’s a redhead. She totally sounds like a redhead.

• xmatt0926x - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Agree totally. I’m serious. I’ve known several redhead/strawberry blondes. They always have two characteristics. They have green eyes and are crazy as friggen hell.

10. kivstarr - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Sounds a little kinky to me

11. mojosmagic - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Some how, some way, sex and drugs were involved.

12. xmatt0926x - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Chapman kicked out for having women on the road? If MLB kicked out every player for having women lined up for every road stay there might be 20 guys left to play in the entire league. Let’s be real here. When these guys realize they will be pro athletes they think of two things- money and easy sex with hot groupies.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM

You hit it on the head Matt. That is precisely why these guys should never get married until their playing days are over. I don’t care what profession they are in. Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Basketball, Football, etc… Cause’ I can guarantee you I would be tapping everything I could as a professional athlete. I would just hope that I was wise enough to do so while a SINGLE man.

13. steveohho - Jun 21, 2012 at 2:52 PM

“Manrique has been charged with falsifying a police report”

Only the police have the right to do that.

14. thom4msu - Jun 21, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Psycho chicks are like dryer lint…
    If you don’t get rid of them early, they can burn your house down.

• badintent - Jun 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM

just ask Andre “Full Moon” Rision , about that, his girl torched his $3 million dollar house in Altanta./………………………………..but the fool took her back later. He had brain damage from the slap fight with Deon

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3467)