Australians are the best and Bob is, in fact, your uncle

Jun 22, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT

Twins Indians Baseball AP

Twins rookie Liam Hendriks had another rough start yesterday, allowing six runs in five innings against the Pirates to fall to 0-6 with a 6.84 ERA in 10 career starts.

Hendriks is the Twins’ reigning minor league pitcher of the year, which makes his struggles all the more discouraging, but the right-hander from Australia at least says really Australian things to reporters after his ugly outings:

Coming out to the game, I feel prepared. I’ve thrown well in warmups. And I get out to the game, and something changes. I give up a couple, I start getting into a groove and I start getting that little aggressiveness back. I need to start that from the get-go. It’s just one of those things, I throw well in a couple, and I just hang a pitch, and Bob’s your uncle there.

“Bob’s your uncle there.”

Which means, basically, “and there you have it.” Except like 100 times better, especially if you say it over and over again trying to impersonate the accent like I definitely haven’t been doing for the past five minutes while writing this post.

1. Old Gator - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM

They’ve got some great ways of putting things in Oz, but let’s face it, they’re still a couple of geological epochs behind Texas. I mean, there is nothing in Strine to equal “Ah’m so hongry I could et the asshole outta a skunk.” Is there? No, there isn’t.

• goawaydog - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

if dinner didn’t hit the table quick enough in my house, you could hear my Grandma mumbling “I’m so hungry I could eat the ass out of a rag doll”. it still makes me laugh to think about it. thanks for the memory reminder.

• stex52 - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Are you sure you were in Texas? I haven’t had the (lack of) pleasure of hearing that one before. Although I will admit creative phrasing is a popular sport in the state.

• Old Gator - Jun 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Oh yes. You don’t forget where you were when you hear something like that. San Angelo, to be exact.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jun 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

It must be a rural central plains thing. Like I texted my freind (yes, we have trees, cell coverage, AND internet out here): “I ain’t got drunk & blowed stuff up in a Coon’s age”

2. kopy - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM

This ranks right up there with “How’s your father?” being a British euphemism for sex.

3. shanabartels - Jun 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM

It is a fun expression. And I do have an uncle named Bob.

4. butchhuskey - Jun 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Hendrick’s teammates during the post-game picnic ” Don’t worry Lance, we’ll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you”

• rooney24 - Jun 22, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Who’s Lance?

• butchhuskey - Jun 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I typed in Liam but damn autocorrect changed it – that’s the last time I post from my iphone!

• simonfoster231171 - Jun 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM

My grandmother’s brother was named Lance (short for Lancelot). Australia is about the only country left in the world where male children actually get given that name.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4864)