Jun 22, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Chris Carpenter took another step in his comeback from neck and shoulder injuries today by facing live hitters for the first time since spring training.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Carpenter threw 34 pitches to an assortment of Cardinals batters, mixing in off-speed stuff with fastballs.
According to Strauss the plan is for Carpenter to face live hitters a couple more times before potentially scheduling a minor-league rehab assignment.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)