Jun 22, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
Doing a radio interview on WEEI’s Dennis & Callanhan show Friday, Curt Schilling detailed how things went bad with his company 38 Studios.
Having personally invested more than $50 million in the company, Schilling, who recently took a leave of absence from ESPN, told his family last month that “The money I saved and earned playing baseball was probably all gone…Life is going to be different.”
Schilling said he was still optimistic about the future of the company until Rhode Island governor Lincoln Chafee went public with its financial problems, mentioning the issues with keeping it solvent. He said he was on the verge of signing a possible $35 million deal with a major publisher for a sequel to his company’s first game, “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning,” but that talks collapsed after the comments.
Schilling also said he was working on a $15 million-$20 million deal to salvage the company that hinged on the state of Rhode Island’s cooperation, but that the state refused.
Schilling made it clear that he wasn’t looking for sympathy; he just wanted to get some of the facts out there. He also acknowledged how much of a mistake he made in dealing with his employees, all of whom were laid off last month.
“The employees got blindsided,” he said. “They have every right to be upset. I always told everybody if something were going to happen, you‘re going to have a month or two of lead time, and I bombed on that one in epic fashion.”
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 28
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 48
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)