Jun 22, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
Doing a radio interview on WEEI’s Dennis & Callanhan show Friday, Curt Schilling detailed how things went bad with his company 38 Studios.
Having personally invested more than $50 million in the company, Schilling, who recently took a leave of absence from ESPN, told his family last month that “The money I saved and earned playing baseball was probably all gone…Life is going to be different.”
Schilling said he was still optimistic about the future of the company until Rhode Island governor Lincoln Chafee went public with its financial problems, mentioning the issues with keeping it solvent. He said he was on the verge of signing a possible $35 million deal with a major publisher for a sequel to his company’s first game, “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning,” but that talks collapsed after the comments.
Schilling also said he was working on a $15 million-$20 million deal to salvage the company that hinged on the state of Rhode Island’s cooperation, but that the state refused.
Schilling made it clear that he wasn’t looking for sympathy; he just wanted to get some of the facts out there. He also acknowledged how much of a mistake he made in dealing with his employees, all of whom were laid off last month.
“The employees got blindsided,” he said. “They have every right to be upset. I always told everybody if something were going to happen, you‘re going to have a month or two of lead time, and I bombed on that one in epic fashion.”
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)