Daniel Bard tells Red Sox he no longer wants to be a starter

Jun 22, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT

Daniel Bard Reuters Reuters

Daniel Bard’s move from the bullpen to the rotation is officially over after 10 starts, as the right-hander told the Red Sox that he no longer wants to be a starter.

“I know I can be a good starter, but I already know I’m a great reliever,” Bard explained to Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston.

McDonald reports that Bard talked recently with general manager Ben Cherington, who’s in agreement with the move back to the bullpen. Of course, now he must actually pitch well enough at Triple-A to deserve a call-up and Bard has struggled some as a reliever for Pawtucket since his demotion.

Bard had a 5.30 ERA in 10 starts, showing decreased velocity with more walks (36) than strikeouts (34) in 54 innings. By comparison he had a 2.87 ERA and 213/77 K/BB ratio in 198 career innings as a reliever, ranking among the most dominant setup men in baseball from 2009-2011.

Whether or not you think the idea of giving Bard an opportunity to start was a sound one it seems fairly obvious that the Red Sox could have handled the situation better and it’s even more obvious that Bard simply didn’t pitch well in the rotation. Now the question is whether he can rediscover his old, overpowering raw stuff and how quickly he’ll be back in the Red Sox’s bullpen.

1. sabatimus - Jun 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM

That’s fine, I never wanted you as a starter in the first place.

• ACE - Jun 22, 2012 at 6:14 PM

neither did Bobby V!

• sabatimus - Jun 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM

That decision was made before he came on board. That said, V needs to go back to Japan.

• sabatimus - Jun 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Oop, I misread your comment :)

2. duluthbuttonhut - Jun 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM

This article would be even better if we could use the heading from the Curt Shilling article instead.

Daniel Bard: ‘I bombed on that one in epic fashion’

• baseballisboring - Jun 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Ugh, I hate when people say funny/true/insulting things about my team…

• aceshigh11 - Jun 23, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Indeed, but at this point, all I can do is chuckle and shake my head. It is just a game, after all.

Hopefully Bard hasn’t been transformed into a TOTAL headcase after this debacle and can regain some of his previous poise and confidence in the bullpen. I have my doubts, but we shall see.

3. Jack Marshall - Jun 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM

He WAS a great reliever. We’ll see if he can be again.

You can’t fault Bard for wanting to challenge himself, but his timing was rotten. I continue to believe that the Sox questioned his makeup as a closer, and maybe anything else, after his collapse last year. Right now, I wouldn’t replace anyone in the Sox bullpen with Bard and call it an upgrade.

4. shanabartels - Jun 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I enjoyed the shitshow while it lasted.

5. petey1999 - Jun 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM

“it seems fairly obvious that the Red Sox could have handled the situation better”

Aaron, what do you mean by this? Is this just standard FO bashing or was there something specific you have in mind? Besides not being able to predict the future, I can’t think of what that would have been.

6. drewsylvania - Jun 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Aaron’s right about it being obvious that Bard wasn’t cut out for starting. He showed it in the minors, and he showed it in spring training.

The team needs to stop overthinking every freaking move they make.

• dan1111 - Jun 23, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Hindsight is 20/20. However, I don’t think that it was obvious from the beginning that he would not succeed as a starter. He was a dominant reliever who throws four different pitches. In that situation, teams should always be asking whether a player could provide a lot more value to the team by starting. One season of struggling in the low minors at the beginning of his career doesn’t prove anything. Spring training stats are even less relevant.

7. randygnyc - Jun 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Bard’s praying he gets back to the shit hole.

8. lostsok - Jun 23, 2012 at 8:34 AM

“Dude, it’s not THAT hard.” ~~ Derek Lowe

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3172)