Jun 22, 2012, 7:31 PM EST
Here’s some good news for the injury-riddled Blue Jays.
According to Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star, Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said this afternoon that Drew Hutchison will not require Tommy John surgery. Hutchison was recently diagnosed with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, but he will be shut down for 4-6 weeks before resuming a throwing program.
There’s always the chance of a setback which would necessitate surgery, but Hutchison could rejoin the Jays later this season if the rehab process goes well. The 21-year-old right-hander made his major league debut two months ago and posted a 4.60 ERA and 49/20 K/BB ratio in 58 2/3 innings prior to the injury.
The Blue Jays are also missing Brandon Morrow and Kyle Drabek at the moment, so they have their work cut out for them in order to stay afloat in the playoff race. Jesse Chavez, who gave up four runs in 2 2/3 innings Tuesday against the Brewers, is being asked to make another start Sunday against the Marlins while Aaron Laffey will join the rotation to start Tuesday against the Red Sox.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 26
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)