Jun 22, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
Felipe Paulino is currently on the disabled list with a groin injury, but suddenly that’s the least of the hard-throwing Royals right-hander’s problems.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Paulino has been diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow and is “likely” to undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
While rehabbing the groin injury Paulino threw three innings in a Double-A game Wednesday and struggled, and apparently experienced elbow pain in the process. He has a history of arm problems and began the season on the DL with an elbow injury, but tearing an elbow ligament while rehabbing a groin injury is some pretty awful luck.
It’s particularly unfortunate because between all the DL stints Paulino had emerged as a potential breakout starter for the Royals, throwing 162 innings with a 3.55 ERA and 158/63 K/BB ratio since they acquired him from the Rockies for pennies on the dollar last season.
Now he’s likely out until at least mid-2013 and the Royals’ already shaky rotation depth takes another big hit after losing Danny Duffy to Tommy John surgery earlier this year.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 162
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (161)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (122)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)