Jun 22, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
Felipe Paulino is currently on the disabled list with a groin injury, but suddenly that’s the least of the hard-throwing Royals right-hander’s problems.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Paulino has been diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow and is “likely” to undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
While rehabbing the groin injury Paulino threw three innings in a Double-A game Wednesday and struggled, and apparently experienced elbow pain in the process. He has a history of arm problems and began the season on the DL with an elbow injury, but tearing an elbow ligament while rehabbing a groin injury is some pretty awful luck.
It’s particularly unfortunate because between all the DL stints Paulino had emerged as a potential breakout starter for the Royals, throwing 162 innings with a 3.55 ERA and 158/63 K/BB ratio since they acquired him from the Rockies for pennies on the dollar last season.
Now he’s likely out until at least mid-2013 and the Royals’ already shaky rotation depth takes another big hit after losing Danny Duffy to Tommy John surgery earlier this year.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)