Jun 22, 2012, 5:54 PM EST
It’s late Friday afternoon, so of course it’s time to announce some drug suspensions.
Luis Atilano was one of two today. The former Washington Nationals pitcher got his 50-game ban for a second violation of the drug of abuse policy. Atilano, 27, is currently in the Reds system with Double-A Pensacola. He started 16 games for the Nationals in 2010, going 6-7 with a 5.15 ERA.
Red Sox prospect Marco Duarte received his 50-game suspension after testing positve for amphetamines. The 25-year-old right-hander was acquired from the Astros in a Rule 5 draft trade over the winter. Before that, he was pitching in Mexico. He had a 2.12 ERA in 34 innings of relief between Single-A Salem and Double-A Portland this season.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 44
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 32
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 50
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)