Jun 22, 2012, 5:54 PM EDT
It’s late Friday afternoon, so of course it’s time to announce some drug suspensions.
Luis Atilano was one of two today. The former Washington Nationals pitcher got his 50-game ban for a second violation of the drug of abuse policy. Atilano, 27, is currently in the Reds system with Double-A Pensacola. He started 16 games for the Nationals in 2010, going 6-7 with a 5.15 ERA.
Red Sox prospect Marco Duarte received his 50-game suspension after testing positve for amphetamines. The 25-year-old right-hander was acquired from the Astros in a Rule 5 draft trade over the winter. Before that, he was pitching in Mexico. He had a 2.12 ERA in 34 innings of relief between Single-A Salem and Double-A Portland this season.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)