Jun 22, 2012, 12:12 PM EST
Grady Sizemore initially hoped to be back in the Indians’ lineup by now following knee and back surgeries, but instead the center fielder’s rehab was sidetracked several times and now he’s yet to resume running.
Three weeks ago Sizemore vented some of his understandable frustration with yet another slower-than-expected recovery from a major injury, saying: “I can’t even explain it. It’s almost feels like a part of you is missing.”
He also spoke about the importance of taking things slow to avoid further setbacks and Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that “there’s still no hint of when or if Sizemore will return” except that it certainly won’t be before the All-Star break.
General manager Chris Antonetti described himself as “still optimistic that Grady will contribute this year” after re-signing with the Indians on a one-year, $5 million contract, but clearly that’s no longer viewed as a sure thing and in the meantime Johnny Damon will continue to play regularly.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 45
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)