Jun 22, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Joel Peralta appealed his eight-game suspension long enough to be available out of the Rays’ bullpen last night, but after taking the loss against the Nationals he’s decided to drop the appeal and begin serving his suspension tonight.
Perhaps the Rays just didn’t want to give the Nationals the satisfaction of Peralta beginning his suspension for having pine tar on his glove during their series, although letting him remain active and take the loss was probably even more satisfying for Davey Johnson and company.
Either way, Peralta will miss series against the Phillies and Royals, plus two games versus the Tigers, and is eligible to return next Saturday, June 30.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 19
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)