Jun 22, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Joel Peralta appealed his eight-game suspension long enough to be available out of the Rays’ bullpen last night, but after taking the loss against the Nationals he’s decided to drop the appeal and begin serving his suspension tonight.
Perhaps the Rays just didn’t want to give the Nationals the satisfaction of Peralta beginning his suspension for having pine tar on his glove during their series, although letting him remain active and take the loss was probably even more satisfying for Davey Johnson and company.
Either way, Peralta will miss series against the Phillies and Royals, plus two games versus the Tigers, and is eligible to return next Saturday, June 30.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)