Jun 22, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Joel Peralta appealed his eight-game suspension long enough to be available out of the Rays’ bullpen last night, but after taking the loss against the Nationals he’s decided to drop the appeal and begin serving his suspension tonight.
Perhaps the Rays just didn’t want to give the Nationals the satisfaction of Peralta beginning his suspension for having pine tar on his glove during their series, although letting him remain active and take the loss was probably even more satisfying for Davey Johnson and company.
Either way, Peralta will miss series against the Phillies and Royals, plus two games versus the Tigers, and is eligible to return next Saturday, June 30.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)