Jun 22, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
Joel Peralta appealed his eight-game suspension long enough to be available out of the Rays’ bullpen last night, but after taking the loss against the Nationals he’s decided to drop the appeal and begin serving his suspension tonight.
Perhaps the Rays just didn’t want to give the Nationals the satisfaction of Peralta beginning his suspension for having pine tar on his glove during their series, although letting him remain active and take the loss was probably even more satisfying for Davey Johnson and company.
Either way, Peralta will miss series against the Phillies and Royals, plus two games versus the Tigers, and is eligible to return next Saturday, June 30.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 3
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 36
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)