Jun 22, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli points out that the surgery is similar to the one Peyton Manning had, in that the herniated disk will be removed and two vertebrae will be fused together.
Reimold had two epidurals to help ease the pain from the herniated disk, but it was still pushing on a nerve and producing numbness and tingling.
“It’s disappointing,” he saidy. “I wanted to [contribute], not just individually, but collectively too, because the team has been playing well. We are in the division up there towards the top. So, to not be a part of it, just to watch it is kind of tough. But I’m still rooting for the guys and puling for them. Just from that perspective it’s tough. But I’ll be back. And everything should go well, and I’ll do everything I can to be back as soon as I can. And hopefully be stronger.”
Reimold is holding on to the slim hope that he can retun at some point in September, though that’s highly unlikely. He should be ready to go next year. The 28-year-old hit .313/.333/.627 with five homers in 67 at-bats before getting hurt.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)