Jun 22, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
The 25-year-old Kirkman was diagnosed with skin cancer this spring, though it went undisclosed until a month ago. He pitched for Triple-A Round Rock while undergoing treatment, and though he struggled mightily in April, he improved as the season progressed and received a callup to Texas on June 12.
Kirkman has pitched two scoreless innings since the promotion, though he has walked three. Control was the problem in Triple-A, as well, as he walked 31 while amassing a 5.25 ERA in 48 innings. With better command, he might yet have a future as a starting pitcher in the majors. The Rangers don’t need him in the rotation right now, though.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)