Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rosenthal adds that Moores met today with Peter Seidler, the nephew of former Dodgers owner Peter O’Malley. He met with Jabara earlier this week.
Both groups have submitted bids of $800 million, which includes $600 million for the team and $200 million as part of the team’s TV deal with FOX Sports San Diego.
10:51 PM: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Padres owner John Moores is close to reaching an agreement to hand over majority control of the team.
Rosenthal hears that the club is seen as the O’Malley family’s “to lose” while a group led by Gary Jabara, the founder of a Newport Beach wireless communications company, remains in the mix with a competitive offer.
Scott Miller of CBSSports.com named the O’Malley family and Jabara as the finalists for the Padres earlier this evening. Moores’ asking price for majority control is now is in the range of $800 million and there’s optimism a deal will come together before the All-Star break. A formal transfer of ownership is unlikely to take place until the owners meetings in August.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)