Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rosenthal adds that Moores met today with Peter Seidler, the nephew of former Dodgers owner Peter O’Malley. He met with Jabara earlier this week.
Both groups have submitted bids of $800 million, which includes $600 million for the team and $200 million as part of the team’s TV deal with FOX Sports San Diego.
10:51 PM: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Padres owner John Moores is close to reaching an agreement to hand over majority control of the team.
Rosenthal hears that the club is seen as the O’Malley family’s “to lose” while a group led by Gary Jabara, the founder of a Newport Beach wireless communications company, remains in the mix with a competitive offer.
Scott Miller of CBSSports.com named the O’Malley family and Jabara as the finalists for the Padres earlier this evening. Moores’ asking price for majority control is now is in the range of $800 million and there’s optimism a deal will come together before the All-Star break. A formal transfer of ownership is unlikely to take place until the owners meetings in August.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 20
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 27
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 68
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)