Nationals get last laugh as Joel Peralta takes loss while appealing suspension

Jun 22, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT

Joel Peralta AP

Yesterday afternoon MLB handed down an eight-game suspension to Joel Peralta for having pine tar on his glove, but the Rays reliever appealed and was available to pitch last night against the Nationals and the manager who ratted him out to umpires, Davey Johnson.

And sure enough manager Joe Maddon brought Peralta into the sixth inning of a tie game in relief of starter Matt Moore.

Peralta got the first two outs, but then gave up a double to Jesus Flores, intentionally walked Adam LaRoche, and gave up another double to Danny Espinosa that scored two runs. He ended up taking the loss in a 5-2 defeat, falling to 0-3 with a 4.20 ERA on the season.

So the Nationals get the last laugh and take two of three games in the interleague series, although the Rays did win the actual game in which Peralta was ejected Tuesday night. And remarkably Maddon and Johnson managed to avoid throwing any more fire on their public war of words.

1. goskinsvt - Jun 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I think we can all agree that Joe Madden is an asshat.

• goskinsvt - Jun 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Maddon. Damn, I might be the asshat.

• drewmunny - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Excellent choice to describe Maddon. I’ve been searching for the right word all season, and there it is.

asshat > hipster doofus
        asshat > weird wuss

• pisano - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM

No, you got it right, a perfect description.

• sabatimus - Jun 22, 2012 at 6:58 PM

For all I know you’re the asshat / For all I know YOU’RE the f**king asshat!

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Jun 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I guess it’s just too hard to get three outs without a heaping helping of pine tar. Or at least, that’s the narrative I’m going to enjoy.

• natslady - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM

See comments in the ATH section about Peralta quick-pitching when he couldn’t use pine-tar. Might have disturbed Bernadina’s rhythm, but everyone else was OK.

3. kkolchak - Jun 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It’s interesting that Peralta’s career was going nowhere fast until he joined the Nats in 2010 and suddenly became an above average reliever. The fact that they didn’t bring him back despite how well he pitched was kind of a head scratcher at the time, but makes perfect sense now.

4. pewterpiratetampabayray - Jun 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Do they get the last laugh? Because we are about to go face their division opponent down a man…….

• natslady - Jun 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Yeah, but it’s the Fillies. They are down about ten men and their manager is even more of an a** than that guru over there. You can handle it.

• kkolchak - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I think you were already down a man if Peralta can’t pitch without the pine tar.

5. sleepers108 - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Wow nats lady u fair weather fan ur team has a good season so far but you forget so quickly that your only there because of ur shitty ass team getting the 1st overall pick 3 years in a row so don’t talk shit about other teams until ur team starts winning 5 consecutive nl east championships!

• natstowngreg - Jun 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Wow, lame, written badly, and inaccurate. The Nats had the #1 pick overall two years in a row.

Otherwise, not worth lowering oneself to respond.

• kkolchak - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Poor baby, your team is decrepit, old and overpaid and will be bad for a LONOOOOOOOOONG time. Cry me a river. Maybe if your fan base wasn’t one of the most obnoxious in baseball, people might not be taking such sweet delight in your well deserved demise.

6. sleepers108 - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Lame lol wow u nats fans are a joke!

7. pharmerbrown - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM

as opposed to the phillie fans, who were there through thick and thin. See how consistent those tickets sales have been, especially in the late 90’s and early 2000’s!!! Oh yeah, the Vet had about 30% more seating that CBP does.

Every team has its share of fair weather fans. Philly and Washington are not exceptions. And I will vouch for that, having lived in Manayunk between 2001 and 2007.

8. natslady - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Um, just because I didn’t post here doesn’t mean I wasn’t always a Nats fan. RFK, 100-loss seasons, Nook Logan–been there, seen that. Many years I went to the Park knowing a lottery ticket might be a better investment of my money (and my time).

Suffering is reported to be good for the soul. Pardon me for enjoying yours.

• natslady - Jun 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM

If that was ambiguous, let me rephrase. Your suffering, Filly, is good for my soul. :)

9. Jennie Oemig - Jun 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Filing an appeal was pointless, but I still think the penalty was a little harsh given that Cole Hamels only got five games for purposely beaning Bryce Harper. The MLB should really revise their penalty book! http://98ontheblack.com/2012/06/24/2198980/

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3017)