Zack Greinke vs. Chris Sale lives up to hype

Jun 22, 2012, 11:35 PM EDT

Zack Greinke Getty Images

There was a tremendous pitcher’s duel in Chicago tonight, as the Brewers edged the White Sox 1-0 in 10 innings.

With the Brewers scoring in the top of the 10th, Zack Greinke was able to get the win. He allowed three hits in nine innings of work. Closer John Axford, who has been very shaky, took over from there and pitched a hitless inning for his 13th save.

Chris Sale was just about as good for the White Sox, allowing four hits in eight innings. Addison Reed followed that with a perfect ninth, but Jesse Crain couldn’t keep it going in the 10th and took his first loss of the year after Aramis Ramirez doubled and Rickie Weeks singled in pinch-runner Nyjer Morgan.

Today’s game was the second this season to go scoreless into extra innings. The Giants beat the Phillies 1-0 in 11 innings on April 18. Matt Cain went nine scoreless and Cliff Lee went 10 scoreless in that one, with Clay Hensley eventually getting the win.

1. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Pitcher’s duels are awesome, but not so much for the 10’s of thousands of people at the game that just wanna see a home run…or at least a few runs altogether.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jun 23, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I have to agree. I believe pitcher’s duels are better for watching on TV and slugfests are most enjoyable in the stands.

2. gotmelk - Jun 23, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Amazing, two great pitchers, pitched great… oh we need to tell you. Meanwhile Lincecum, who’s pitched horrible this year, makes an amazing comeback start today, won’t get mentioned until tomorrow because nobody cares about something that happens in SF. But please tell me more about a great pitcher throwing a great game, I don’t get it, what, am I supposed to be shocked or something?

• dan1111 - Jun 23, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Lincecum allowed three runs in six innings. That is the definition of a mediocre start. I hope Lincecum does make a comeback, but he will need to do more than this. It just isn’t a very interesting story compared to a duel between two dominant starters.

Lincecum’s struggles have been well covered here, and if he returns to form, I’m sure they will write about that, too.

• gotmelk - Jun 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Sorry, heat of the moment. I know that 6 ip and 3 runs isn’t spectacular and that writing about that is less interesting than Grienke vs Sale. I was looking at the fact he struck out the side with the bases loaded and didn’t give up a hit the rest of the way. Also I really apologize to everyone about going west coast bias, promised my self I would never do that, again heat of the moment.

• dan1111 - Jun 24, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Hey, it happens. And by the way, you got your Lincecum story.

3. pellypell - Jun 23, 2012 at 8:49 AM

How the Sox handle Sale for the rest of the year will be interesting. The kids on an innings limit and at some point they will have to shut him down.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic