Jun 23, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
Drew Stubbs began a minor league rehab assignment last night with Class A Dayton as he continues to make his way back from a strained left oblique.
Stubbs, who has been sidelined since June 5, went 0-for-2 and played five innings in center field. The speedy 27-year-old later told Mark Clements of MLB.com that he didn’t feel any discomfort with the oblique.
“No soreness, no pain during the game or anything like that,” Stubbs said. “Taking two weeks off, from any game action, you never know how you’re going to feel stepping in and getting back in the flow of the game. I felt really comfortable, like I haven’t really missed a beat.”
The current plan is for Stubbs to play seven innings today and a full nine-inning game tomorrow before coming off the disabled list for Monday’s game against the Brewers.
Stubbs is hitting .235/.300/.373 with seven home runs, 18 RBI, 13 stolen bases and a .673 OPS over 53 games this season. Chris Heisey is currently holding down starting center field duties, but he’ll move back into a platoon with Ryan Ludwick in left field once Stubbs returns.
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 13
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 60
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 22
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 6
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2