Jun 23, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Is Trevor Bauer time upon us? Maybe.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Joe Saunders was scratched from his scheduled start last night against the Cubs because he had trouble getting loose. Josh Collmenter got the call at the last minute and allowed one run over four innings. Brad Ziegler, Craig Breslow, Bryan Shaw and David Hernandez then combined for five shutout frames to lock down the 9-1 victory.
Saunders downplayed the severity of the situation after the game, but we should know more on his status in the next few days.
“It was just one of those weird fluke things where I just couldn’t get loose,” Saunders said. “Maybe I slept on it wrong or something like that. I felt great my last outing, felt great in my bullpen session on Wednesday, so I think this is just kind of a fluke thing. Strength-wise [the training staff] said I was off the charts, so I’m not worried about anything structurally.”
Saunders, 31, has a 3.44 ERA and 53/21 K/BB ratio in 81 innings over his first 13 starts this season. He’s been the subject of trade rumors recently, as the Diamondbacks consider ways to make room for Bauer in the starting rotation. The 2011 first-round pick has a 2.79 ERA and 51 strikeouts in 42 innings since being promoted to Triple-A Reno last month.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 0
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 74
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)