Jun 23, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Is Trevor Bauer time upon us? Maybe.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Joe Saunders was scratched from his scheduled start last night against the Cubs because he had trouble getting loose. Josh Collmenter got the call at the last minute and allowed one run over four innings. Brad Ziegler, Craig Breslow, Bryan Shaw and David Hernandez then combined for five shutout frames to lock down the 9-1 victory.
Saunders downplayed the severity of the situation after the game, but we should know more on his status in the next few days.
“It was just one of those weird fluke things where I just couldn’t get loose,” Saunders said. “Maybe I slept on it wrong or something like that. I felt great my last outing, felt great in my bullpen session on Wednesday, so I think this is just kind of a fluke thing. Strength-wise [the training staff] said I was off the charts, so I’m not worried about anything structurally.”
Saunders, 31, has a 3.44 ERA and 53/21 K/BB ratio in 81 innings over his first 13 starts this season. He’s been the subject of trade rumors recently, as the Diamondbacks consider ways to make room for Bauer in the starting rotation. The 2011 first-round pick has a 2.79 ERA and 51 strikeouts in 42 innings since being promoted to Triple-A Reno last month.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)