Jun 23, 2012, 10:16 PM EDT
Tigers closer Jose Valverde hasn’t appeared in a game since last Friday due to a sprained right wrist.
But he’s just about back to 100 percent health.
According to Chris Iott of Detroit’s MLive.com, Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Saturday that Valverde is a “possibility” but “not a sure thing” for Sunday’s series-finale against the Pirates.
Valverde, 34, has a 4.18 ERA and 1.50 WHIP in 28 innings this season. He’s 13-for-16 in save chances.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)