Jun 23, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
Max Scherzer is pitching against the Pirates this afternoon with a very heavy heart.
Scherzer has been away from the Tigers for the past couple of days due to “personal reasons,” but now we know some of the details regarding his absence. And they are heartbreaking.
Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that Scherzer is pitching today, despite his younger brother Alex passing away three days ago. Scott Miller of CBSSports.com has learned that he took his own life.
Just terrible. Our thoughts go out to Scherzer and his family. It’s little consolation, but he’s going to have a lot of people rooting for him today.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)