Jun 23, 2012, 4:25 PM EST
Max Scherzer is pitching against the Pirates this afternoon with a very heavy heart.
Scherzer has been away from the Tigers for the past couple of days due to “personal reasons,” but now we know some of the details regarding his absence. And they are heartbreaking.
Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that Scherzer is pitching today, despite his younger brother Alex passing away three days ago. Scott Miller of CBSSports.com has learned that he took his own life.
Just terrible. Our thoughts go out to Scherzer and his family. It’s little consolation, but he’s going to have a lot of people rooting for him today.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (293)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)