Jun 23, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
Max Scherzer is pitching against the Pirates this afternoon with a very heavy heart.
Scherzer has been away from the Tigers for the past couple of days due to “personal reasons,” but now we know some of the details regarding his absence. And they are heartbreaking.
Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that Scherzer is pitching today, despite his younger brother Alex passing away three days ago. Scott Miller of CBSSports.com has learned that he took his own life.
Just terrible. Our thoughts go out to Scherzer and his family. It’s little consolation, but he’s going to have a lot of people rooting for him today.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 18
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 44
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)