Jun 23, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
Max Scherzer is pitching against the Pirates this afternoon with a very heavy heart.
Scherzer has been away from the Tigers for the past couple of days due to “personal reasons,” but now we know some of the details regarding his absence. And they are heartbreaking.
Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that Scherzer is pitching today, despite his younger brother Alex passing away three days ago. Scott Miller of CBSSports.com has learned that he took his own life.
Just terrible. Our thoughts go out to Scherzer and his family. It’s little consolation, but he’s going to have a lot of people rooting for him today.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)