Max Scherzer starting today following his brother’s death

Jun 23, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT

Max Scherzer AP AP

Max Scherzer is pitching against the Pirates this afternoon with a very heavy heart.

Scherzer has been away from the Tigers for the past couple of days due to “personal reasons,” but now we know some of the details regarding his absence. And they are heartbreaking.

Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that Scherzer is pitching today, despite his younger brother Alex passing away three days ago. Scott Miller of CBSSports.com has learned that he took his own life.

Just terrible. Our thoughts go out to Scherzer and his family. It’s little consolation, but he’s going to have a lot of people rooting for him today.

1. tigers182 - Jun 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Omg, thats awful. I’m always suprised when pro athletes are able to return so quickly from things like this.

2. mtheparrothead - Jun 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Man that’s tough. Best of luck max.

3. juanquixote - Jun 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Sometimes when something horrible like that happens the best thing to do is to try to stick with the day to day. If he doesn’t play that just gives him more time to sit around and think about it, hopefully he’s able to clear his mind and have some fun before returning to the real world.

4. yahmule - Jun 23, 2012 at 6:05 PM

My heart goes out to Max and the entire Scherzer family.

5. phipfwe76 - Jun 23, 2012 at 8:07 PM

That’s terrible. I wouldn’t be able to come back so soon.

If I was playing against him, I’d feel terrible even swinging the bat.

• supersnappy - Jun 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I lost my younger brother to suicide some years back, in a strange kind of a way getting back to your normal life can be a comfort after something so terrible. My sincere condolences to Max and his family

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka