Jun 24, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
McCarthy missed only 15 days earlier this season with a similar shoulder issue, but it seems like he’ll be out much longer than that this time around.
“The last two weeks have been about as mentally harrowing as I have had in my career,” the 28-year-old told CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt late Saturday night. “Dealing with pain every day is miserable.”
McCarthy has registered a 2.54 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 52/19 K/BB ratio across 78 innings this season for third-place Oakland. He had a 3.32 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 123/25 K/BB ratio in 170 2/3 innings last year.
The A’s called up right-hander A.J. Griffin to fill McCarthy’s rotation spot. Danny Farquhar was DFA’d.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)