Jun 24, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
McCarthy missed only 15 days earlier this season with a similar shoulder issue, but it seems like he’ll be out much longer than that this time around.
“The last two weeks have been about as mentally harrowing as I have had in my career,” the 28-year-old told CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt late Saturday night. “Dealing with pain every day is miserable.”
McCarthy has registered a 2.54 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 52/19 K/BB ratio across 78 innings this season for third-place Oakland. He had a 3.32 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 123/25 K/BB ratio in 170 2/3 innings last year.
The A’s called up right-hander A.J. Griffin to fill McCarthy’s rotation spot. Danny Farquhar was DFA’d.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)