Jun 24, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
McCarthy missed only 15 days earlier this season with a similar shoulder issue, but it seems like he’ll be out much longer than that this time around.
“The last two weeks have been about as mentally harrowing as I have had in my career,” the 28-year-old told CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt late Saturday night. “Dealing with pain every day is miserable.”
McCarthy has registered a 2.54 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 52/19 K/BB ratio across 78 innings this season for third-place Oakland. He had a 3.32 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 123/25 K/BB ratio in 170 2/3 innings last year.
The A’s called up right-hander A.J. Griffin to fill McCarthy’s rotation spot. Danny Farquhar was DFA’d.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)