Jun 24, 2012, 9:04 AM EDT
Get excited, Cubs fans. For once this year.
According to beat writer Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, “speculation is” that the Northsiders are preparing to promote 22-year-old first base prospect Anthony Rizzo from Triple-A Iowa in time for Tuesday night’s game against the Mets.
Rizzo has registered a sparkling .355/.416/.722 batting line with 23 home runs and 62 RBI in 67 games this season at Iowa. The Florida native was selected in the sixth round of the 2007 MLB Amateur Draft by the Red Sox, then traded to San Diego in 2010 as part of the Adrian Gonzalez blockbuster. The Cubs acquired him this past winter for flame-thrower Andrew Cashner and outfielder Kyung-Min Na.
Rizzo struggled mightily in his first taste of the majors last season, hitting just .141 with a .523 OPS across 153 plate appearances for the Padres. He’ll hope for much better results in his second MLB experience.
“I don’t think I’ve really been around anyone who has had this much hype,” Cubs manager Dale Sveum told the Tribune on Saturday evening. “”The 30 days or so in spring training, he seemed to be a guy very ahead of the game, maturity-wise. He has all those leadership skills. We’ll all have to be a little bit patient and understand the game is a lot different here than it is in Triple-A. … He’s confident.”
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (119)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights