Jun 24, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com’s excellent “Nats Insider” page provides the money quote:
“I’ve been hitting for a while here [in the big leagues], and I don’t miss fastballs the way I’ve been missing fastballs,” Ryan Zimmerman said Saturday after watching his batting line fall to .218/.285/.305 . “So it’s frustrating, but I’ve just got to continue to do my treatment and stuff, and hopefully it will improve and we’ll get to that. But if things keep going the way they’ve been going, we’re going to have to do something.”
The 27-year-old third baseman is likely to get a cortisone shot in his ailing right shoulder early this week. If that doesn’t take care of the discomfort, he may be placed on the 15-day disabled list. The approaching All-Star break (July 9-12) could mean fewer missed games.
Washington moved to 41-28 with Saturday’s 3-1 win over the Orioles. Zimmerman would be surely be missed, but the first-place Nats are better served getting him as healthy as possible for the stretch run.
Zimmerman is in the Nationals’ starting lineup on Sunday against Baltimore, playing third and batting third.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 93
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 30
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 257
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (258)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (95)