Jun 24, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com’s excellent “Nats Insider” page provides the money quote:
“I’ve been hitting for a while here [in the big leagues], and I don’t miss fastballs the way I’ve been missing fastballs,” Ryan Zimmerman said Saturday after watching his batting line fall to .218/.285/.305 . “So it’s frustrating, but I’ve just got to continue to do my treatment and stuff, and hopefully it will improve and we’ll get to that. But if things keep going the way they’ve been going, we’re going to have to do something.”
The 27-year-old third baseman is likely to get a cortisone shot in his ailing right shoulder early this week. If that doesn’t take care of the discomfort, he may be placed on the 15-day disabled list. The approaching All-Star break (July 9-12) could mean fewer missed games.
Washington moved to 41-28 with Saturday’s 3-1 win over the Orioles. Zimmerman would be surely be missed, but the first-place Nats are better served getting him as healthy as possible for the stretch run.
Zimmerman is in the Nationals’ starting lineup on Sunday against Baltimore, playing third and batting third.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 59
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (132)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)