Jun 24, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com’s excellent “Nats Insider” page provides the money quote:
“I’ve been hitting for a while here [in the big leagues], and I don’t miss fastballs the way I’ve been missing fastballs,” Ryan Zimmerman said Saturday after watching his batting line fall to .218/.285/.305 . “So it’s frustrating, but I’ve just got to continue to do my treatment and stuff, and hopefully it will improve and we’ll get to that. But if things keep going the way they’ve been going, we’re going to have to do something.”
The 27-year-old third baseman is likely to get a cortisone shot in his ailing right shoulder early this week. If that doesn’t take care of the discomfort, he may be placed on the 15-day disabled list. The approaching All-Star break (July 9-12) could mean fewer missed games.
Washington moved to 41-28 with Saturday’s 3-1 win over the Orioles. Zimmerman would be surely be missed, but the first-place Nats are better served getting him as healthy as possible for the stretch run.
Zimmerman is in the Nationals’ starting lineup on Sunday against Baltimore, playing third and batting third.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (115)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)