Jun 24, 2012, 5:38 PM EST
Rather than give Josh Collmenter another spot start, the Diamondbacks will promote top prospect Trevor Bauer in time to start Thursday’s game against the Braves, Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com reports.
Bauer was removed from his start Sunday after 50 pitches, suggesting that the Diamondbacks were looking at it as a tuneup for Thursday’s outing.
The 21-year-old Bauer was the third overall pick in the 2011 draft out of UCLA. He’ll 11-1 with a 2.19 ERA and a 111/46 K/BB ratio in 90 1/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A this season. He allowed one run in 2 2/3 innings and struck out five in Sunday’s outing for Reno. Considered by most to be one of the game’s top five pitching prospects, he was scheduled to pitched for the U.S. team at next month’s Futures Game.
Bauer will be taking the place of Joe Saunders, who was DL’d with shoulder inflammation on Saturday. It’s uncertain when he’ll return.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)