Jun 24, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
Rather than give Josh Collmenter another spot start, the Diamondbacks will promote top prospect Trevor Bauer in time to start Thursday’s game against the Braves, Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com reports.
Bauer was removed from his start Sunday after 50 pitches, suggesting that the Diamondbacks were looking at it as a tuneup for Thursday’s outing.
The 21-year-old Bauer was the third overall pick in the 2011 draft out of UCLA. He’ll 11-1 with a 2.19 ERA and a 111/46 K/BB ratio in 90 1/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A this season. He allowed one run in 2 2/3 innings and struck out five in Sunday’s outing for Reno. Considered by most to be one of the game’s top five pitching prospects, he was scheduled to pitched for the U.S. team at next month’s Futures Game.
Bauer will be taking the place of Joe Saunders, who was DL’d with shoulder inflammation on Saturday. It’s uncertain when he’ll return.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)