Jun 25, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Alex Avila just returned from a hamstring injury late last week, but now he’s hurting again.
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Avila is out of tonight’s lineup against the Rangers due to renewed soreness in his left knee. It’s a troubling development, as he missed a couple days in the early part of May due to soreness in the same knee and had problems with both knees down the stretch and into the postseason last year.
Avila acknowledged that he felt pain in the knee during Sunday’s game while Tigers manager Jim Leyland said he “could tell he wasn’t feeling right.” The 25-year-old backstop was sent for an MRI this morning and the Tigers should know more about his status after he is examined by the Rangers’ team doctor tonight.
Avila is 1-for-14 with two walks in four games since returning from the disabled list and is hitting .234/.324/.396 with five home runs, 20 RBI and a .720 OPS over 177 plate appearances this season. He has thrown out 33 percent (15-for-45) of attempted basestealers.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 0
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 167
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (171)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)