Jun 25, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
Alex Avila just returned from a hamstring injury late last week, but now he’s hurting again.
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Avila is out of tonight’s lineup against the Rangers due to renewed soreness in his left knee. It’s a troubling development, as he missed a couple days in the early part of May due to soreness in the same knee and had problems with both knees down the stretch and into the postseason last year.
Avila acknowledged that he felt pain in the knee during Sunday’s game while Tigers manager Jim Leyland said he “could tell he wasn’t feeling right.” The 25-year-old backstop was sent for an MRI this morning and the Tigers should know more about his status after he is examined by the Rangers’ team doctor tonight.
Avila is 1-for-14 with two walks in four games since returning from the disabled list and is hitting .234/.324/.396 with five home runs, 20 RBI and a .720 OPS over 177 plate appearances this season. He has thrown out 33 percent (15-for-45) of attempted basestealers.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)