Cubs (finally) call up first base prospect Anthony Rizzo

Jun 25, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT

anthony rizzo getty Getty Images

Cubs fans are finally getting their wish, as the team announced that first base prospect Anthony Rizzo is on his way to Chicago after destroying Triple-A pitching for the second straight season.

Rizzo struggled in his first taste of the big leagues last year for the Padres and was then traded to the Cubs for Andrew Cashner in January.

He hit .345 with 23 homers, 18 doubles, and a 1.110 OPS in 69 games at Triple-A after hitting .331 with 26 homers, 34 doubles, and a 1.056 OPS in 93 games there last year. Add it all up and Rizzo played 162 games at Triple-A, hitting .337 with 49 homers, 52 doubles, and a 1.078 OPS.

His call-up means that first baseman Bryan LaHair will shift to the outfield full time, which the Cubs prepared for by giving him three starts in right field during the past week.

Rizzo’s horrible debut for San Diego last year has some people skeptical about his ability to become a star-caliber hitter in the majors, but at 22 years old with incredible numbers at Triple-A it would certainly be shocking if he failed to become at least a very, very good hitter.

1. 12strikes - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Are they calling him up to sod the infield or to demonstrate how to do a One-Legged King Pigeon Pose on the mound?

• firedude7160 - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I guess no one got the joke

• 12strikes - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Maybe if the HBT back background was in better shape people would read more post.

2. bigleagues - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

FINALLY!

Fantasy players who stashed him through nearly 3 months of the season can rejoice a little.

3. DiscountMescan - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Hopefully he’s crushing the ball by the time I’m there for the Marlins series.

4. larryboodry - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM

@ 12strikes…You were out nine strikes ago…Please grab some bench.

• 12strikes - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Looks like someone from Anthony Rizzo family reads HBT.

• larryboodry - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Nope, just a baseball fan who can’t understand why some folks are only happy posting derogatory comments about players, or about fans of rival teams.

5. thomas2727 - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:30 PM

He looked really bad in San Diego last season. But there is really nothing left to prove in the minors.

Hopefully Cubs fans will be realistic with their expectations which we all know they won’t.

The only thing they are playing for this year is to avoid 100 losses. And hopefully put a foundation in place for the future.

Just remember every day that passes means it is one day closer until Soriano is gone.

6. larryboodry - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM

@ bigleagues…I am one of the fantasy players who did that, and I’m thrilled he’s finally getting his shot…Now if only they would bring up Brett Jackson.

• bigleagues - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM

full disclosure: I did as well! But I also have Allen Craig about to qualify in my league, so to say I have one of those ‘nice little problems’ on the horizon would be an understatement!
      :-)

• larryboodry - Jun 25, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Yep…Nice problem to have!

• larryboodry - Jun 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I see that you got a thumbs down…Must be one of your league opponents, lol!

• notsofast10 - Jun 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM

No you get thumbs down because nobody wants to hear about your fantasy team on HBT!
        It is an unwritten rule of HBT!

• larryboodry - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM

If it’s unwritten, how do you know it’s a rule, and more to the point, how was I supposed to know?

• micker716 - Jun 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM

It’s not just on HBT, NOBODY wants to hear about your fantasy team.

• bigleagues - Jun 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM

notsofast

if written rules sometimes need to be broken, then unwritten rules can sometimes be ignored.

I’ve on here long enough to know when its appropriate and when its not.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

So who is LaHair pushing out in the OF? Will it be a LaHair/DeJesus/Soriano outfield?

• larryboodry - Jun 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM

That is my guess…Soriano in LF, DeJesus moves to CF, LaHair in RF.

• Alex K - Jun 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I know you love Campana, but he’s the one to go. He’ll still pinch run and be a defensive replacement, so there is a place for him on the team.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Campana is fantastic – I hope to see a lot of him. It’s not like DeJesus is hitting better (or much better) than him anyway.

• Daniel Lawson - Jun 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I think someone said Cardenas (sp?) o

• Alex K - Jun 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM

To be clear- I meant the one to go from the everyday line-up. Campana is what he is- a fast guy who will steal a lot of bases and play a pretty good center, but never really hit enough to be an everyday player. There is 100% a place for him on the team.

• bigleagues - Jun 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM

All four of those guys in the OF are trade deadline candidates – although push comes to shove, I can Hoystein and Sveum wanting to perhaps hold onto DeJesus and/or Campana.

8. openseason51 - Jun 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Rizzo will be a great player real soon! Good for the Cubs! The Padres are the best MLB team for recruiting. They give up every good player they bring up! Cards, Rangers, Red Sox etc enjoy the pickings every couple of years. Keep it up SD. Cubs have money to spend.

• micker716 - Jun 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM

All true, but we’ll always have 1984.

9. mikecubbie69 - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I think we need to give this guy a chance, but of course, I know how long my fellow Cubs fans are willing to wait(about 2 games!). Which has me very worried. Remember, this isnt Todd Hundley. Derrek Lee, LaTroy Hawkins, Jacque Jones, Milton Bradley or Alfonso Soriano! This guy is going to be here a while…..give him TIME!

• larryboodry - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Derrek Lee does not belong on tthe same list as the others you mention.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3972)