Jun 25, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
Cubs fans are finally getting their wish, as the team announced that first base prospect Anthony Rizzo is on his way to Chicago after destroying Triple-A pitching for the second straight season.
Rizzo struggled in his first taste of the big leagues last year for the Padres and was then traded to the Cubs for Andrew Cashner in January.
He hit .345 with 23 homers, 18 doubles, and a 1.110 OPS in 69 games at Triple-A after hitting .331 with 26 homers, 34 doubles, and a 1.056 OPS in 93 games there last year. Add it all up and Rizzo played 162 games at Triple-A, hitting .337 with 49 homers, 52 doubles, and a 1.078 OPS.
His call-up means that first baseman Bryan LaHair will shift to the outfield full time, which the Cubs prepared for by giving him three starts in right field during the past week.
Rizzo’s horrible debut for San Diego last year has some people skeptical about his ability to become a star-caliber hitter in the majors, but at 22 years old with incredible numbers at Triple-A it would certainly be shocking if he failed to become at least a very, very good hitter.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (203)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)