Apparently some people take issue with Rafael Soriano untucking his shirt after a save

Jun 25, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Last night, mere seconds after locking down the save in the Yankees-Mets game, Rafael Soriano untucked his shirt. It’s the first time I’ve noticed him doing it, but apparently he does it all the time. OK, whatever.

But apparently enough people take issue with this that someone felt the need to ask Joe Girardi about it this afternoon:

It’s been decades since spiking the football was invented. Jeffrey Leonard’s one-flap-down home run trot came in the 80s. We’re nearly 25 years into the post-Icky Shuffle Era. In light of that, I’m struggling to think who could possibly care about this, but I guess there is someone to complain about any given thing out there.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Next thing you know, he is going to grow facial hair.

2. shanabartels - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I think it’s a bit unbecoming, especially since I’m accustomed to the understated dignity of Mariano Rivera. But MFIKY’s untucking routine after he gets a save doesn’t, like, ruin my life or anything. I just think it’s a bit crass, that’s all.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Like, what do you mean by crass and like unbecoming.

• skerney - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Right, the understated dignity of entering to Metallica blaring.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:11 PM

That’s my favorite band! Rivera has good taste.

• lostsok - Jun 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Metallica! As walking cliches go…they ARE better than Ratt or Poison.

• bradtoughy - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Not every athlete is going to be as professional as Mariano Rivera. The un-tucking is a sign that the Yankees have won a game and that’s what his job is. Are CC Sabathia’s tattoos unbecoming and crass? Who cares?

3. doctorfootball - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Nothing wrong with Soriano untucking his shirt. He’s not showing anyone up by doing so. And, most of the time, he turns away from the dugouts before doing so. It’s his way of saying that “business is done.”

4. Tick - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Yeah…not sure why this would be construed as showing up your opponent. It’s sort of like saying that walking to the showers after the game is over is showing up your opponent. The game is over and the guy wants to untuck his shirt. Who cares.

• fredverd - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:46 PM

As a long time Yankee fan I am much more concerned by Soriano’s peering into his hat before facing each next batter. What does he see in there? Instructions? A personal mantra? Notes on past batters’ spray charts? Glimpses into the future?

• bradtoughy - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I think I read somewhere that he has a saying or a quote written in there that he likes to remind himself of before pitching.

• sneschalmers - Jun 25, 2012 at 7:37 PM

In college some of our pitchers would put notes/tendencies of the upcoming batters into their hats before going to the mound

5. ddjesus - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Mike Cameron wants his gimmick back!

• stabonerichard - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Yeah, it wasn’t that long ago that various members of the St. Louis Cardinals organization were whining about the Brew Crew untucking their shirts at the conclusion of a ballgame.

Some folks are just more prone to getting worked up over seemingly trivial matters. Happens in pretty much all aspects of life & culture. Within the sports dynamic, it often involves people on the losing end of the competition, old people, or both.

6. mybrunoblog - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The untucking is really a non issue. I like to think I’m “old school ” and it doesn’t bother me one bit.
    Yankee fans would like to see him untuck one last time for this season around October 28th.

7. bananalaundry - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Untucking is the new fist pump. I’m not sure if baseball fans are idiots and actually care about nonsense like this or if writers just need to blow this stuff out of proportion to inflate their word count. Where do I direct my eye-rolling, guys?!

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

The complainers are jealous because they can’t untuck their little flowered pink dresses. Seriously, does anyone care other than some bored reporters?> My guess is no.

9. DaGooch1979 - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I believe Soriano has been untucking his shirt since his closer days in Tampa Bay.

10. mianfr - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Honestly I’d always assumed he just really hated having his shirt tucked in…

There are plenty of athletes who like to look fancy, and plenty who hate every modicum of fancy dress they have to adhere to.

11. randygnyc - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Personally, I don’t like it. It’s not how a Yankee should act in public. I couldn’t imagine DiMaggio, Gerhig, mattingly or jeter doing it. With that said, he did it with the Rays so it’s not new. Anyway, I’m just really grateful we had him stashed away in the bullpen this year.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM

“It’s not how a Yankee should act in public.”
      Ya know, like fistfights in the CopaCabana or threatening somebody in a diner with a butter knife. No true Yankee would ever do that. sarcasm/font

• nategearhart - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM

He should stick with getting bj’s behind the bleachers like a true yankee.

12. pisano - Jun 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM

It’s his routine, just like peering into his hat. I don’t know this for a fact, but I’m guessing he says a little prayer to himself, whatever he’s doing I could care less as long as he knocks down the saves.

13. yankeesgameday - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:02 PM

For team spirit they should all do it after each of his saves. I guarantee Swisher is the first one to untuck his shirt as he runs in from the outfield.

14. annaalamode - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I feel like I just wandered onto a fashion blog by accident. To tuck or not to tuck, talk about creating an issue that no one outside of Anna Wintour’s contact list cares about. Seriously, people are really annoyed by this?

15. gnyy69 - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM

It is not a big deal he is doing that.

16. explodet - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Prince Fielder does it at the end of games too, I believe.

17. 50milessouthofdetroit - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM

jose valverde does it after a save also

18. djpostl - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Lol, untucking the shirt isn’t showing anyone up.

Valverde’s quasi-taking a dump expression/dance/whatever-the-f***-that-is on the other hand could definitely be construed as showing people up.

19. gibbskins9 - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I guess the Mets Chickens have come home to rooste

20. charlutes - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

If you have a problem with someone untucking their shirt, even as a taunt, your petty.

• teamobijuan - Jun 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM

No, your pretty

21. charlutes - Jun 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM

So what do people want, no taunting whatsoever? no emotion whatsoever? or do they just want people to be fined for showing emotion but still do it like in the NFL? Mostly people suck.

22. randygnyc - Jun 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I don’t care what players on other teams do. They can have long hair, beards, throw their gear, assault umpires, put pine tar in their gloves, etc. I just don’t expect the Yankees to do it. That includes taking PED’s.

And yes, I am old enough to remember the billy Martin and Bronx zoo days. Overall, a legendary embarrassment.

23. kcredneck - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM

The poor guy has a rash, that is also why he never smiles!

24. giselleisasucubus - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Maybe he just doesn’t like having his shirt tucked in. Am I seriously commenting on this?

25. badmamainphilliesjamas - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Seriously? It’s not like he dropped his pants.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate