Frank Viola’s daughter made the Olympic diving team

Jun 25, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

brittany viola

Brittany Viola, the daughter of former Cy Young winner Frank Viola, secured a spot on the Olympic diving team yesterday by winning the 10-meter platform trials.

Viola narrowly missed making the United States team in 2008, but this time the Associated Press describes her as having “dominated the competition” to secure a trip to London.

NBCOlympics.com has the video of her final dive and emotional celebration. Her dad, a three-time All-Star who’s now the Mets’ low Single-A pitching coach, was watching on television from the Savannah Sand Gnats’ clubhouse.

1. Old Gator - Jun 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Oh…I didn’t recognize her without the moustache….

2. bsbiz - Jun 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I bet she dove to the score.

3. fearlessleader - Jun 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I went to watch the national diving championships some years back, when the competition was held near my home and Brittany Viola was an up-and-coming young teenager in the sport. She and her dad ended up standing right behind me in the snack-bar line, and I turned to Frank and said “I just want you to know how much I admire your career, even though you and that dumb stadium completely broke my heart in the 1987 World Series.”

He looked puzzled when I began talking, then broke into a huge smile and cracked up. “It wasn’t personal, really,” he said, “and thanks for the compliment.”

I told Brittany that I was glad to have a member of the Viola family to root for unreservedly, and we all got our food and moved on. Nice people, and Brittany’s got a great chance to come home from London with a medal.

4. cleverbob - Jun 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM

“Narrow miss” is a poor choice of words when it comes to platform diving.

• chadjones27 - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Ask Greg Louganis about narrow misses. I still shudder when I watch platform diving.
      I did watch most of the women’s trial that Britanny Viola was in. She performed very well, and from what my novice eyes could see, she did dominate the competition. Best of luck to her and Katherine Bell.

5. hotdogfinger - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM

What the hell:
    NBC is only allowed to show Olympic competition video on the internet to users in the United States and U.S. Territories.

• kopy - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

USA! USA! USA!

• firedude7160 - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

They don’t want other countries using the video as scouting footage I guess

• gogigantos - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM

It’s a rights issue, they only own the airwaves in the States. Here in Asia I am having some luck with the BBC. I will watch the Olympics courtesy of the BBC here, not so much as a highlight from NBC will make it here.

6. raysfan1 - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Very cool. I’ll be watching and cheering

7. addictedzone - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Off the 10 meter platform, she is indeed Brittany “Sweet Music” Viola.

8. samu0034 - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

How many dimples with in dimples can one person have?

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2977)