Jun 25, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Brittany Viola, the daughter of former Cy Young winner Frank Viola, secured a spot on the Olympic diving team yesterday by winning the 10-meter platform trials.
Viola narrowly missed making the United States team in 2008, but this time the Associated Press describes her as having “dominated the competition” to secure a trip to London.
NBCOlympics.com has the video of her final dive and emotional celebration. Her dad, a three-time All-Star who’s now the Mets’ low Single-A pitching coach, was watching on television from the Savannah Sand Gnats’ clubhouse.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 73
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)