Jun 25, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Brittany Viola, the daughter of former Cy Young winner Frank Viola, secured a spot on the Olympic diving team yesterday by winning the 10-meter platform trials.
Viola narrowly missed making the United States team in 2008, but this time the Associated Press describes her as having “dominated the competition” to secure a trip to London.
NBCOlympics.com has the video of her final dive and emotional celebration. Her dad, a three-time All-Star who’s now the Mets’ low Single-A pitching coach, was watching on television from the Savannah Sand Gnats’ clubhouse.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 54
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)