Jun 25, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Brittany Viola, the daughter of former Cy Young winner Frank Viola, secured a spot on the Olympic diving team yesterday by winning the 10-meter platform trials.
Viola narrowly missed making the United States team in 2008, but this time the Associated Press describes her as having “dominated the competition” to secure a trip to London.
NBCOlympics.com has the video of her final dive and emotional celebration. Her dad, a three-time All-Star who’s now the Mets’ low Single-A pitching coach, was watching on television from the Savannah Sand Gnats’ clubhouse.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69