Jun 25, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Brittany Viola, the daughter of former Cy Young winner Frank Viola, secured a spot on the Olympic diving team yesterday by winning the 10-meter platform trials.
Viola narrowly missed making the United States team in 2008, but this time the Associated Press describes her as having “dominated the competition” to secure a trip to London.
NBCOlympics.com has the video of her final dive and emotional celebration. Her dad, a three-time All-Star who’s now the Mets’ low Single-A pitching coach, was watching on television from the Savannah Sand Gnats’ clubhouse.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)