Jun 25, 2012, 2:03 PM EST
Major League Baseball issued a press release a few minutes ago touting attendance numbers, and there was much to tout.
Overall attendance is up 8.1% over last year, and last year was among the biggest years for attendance all time. The last eight years have been the highest eight-year stretch for attendance in baseball history.
Interleague play is certainly helping drive this, as this year’s slate posted the third highest attendance totals since the advent of the beast, and represented a 15.8% increase over intraleague games. Usually it draws around 12% more than intraleague games.
Reasons for all of this? Probably a combination. A ton of teams are still very much in contention, particularly some teams who have not been in recent years like the Nationals, Orioles and Pirates. The new park in Miami. Great weather all season long.
For baseball, it’s all good.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)