Jun 25, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun the Orioles have released Miguel Tejada from their Triple-A team at the former MVP’s request.
Tejada had been playing third base for Norfolk since mid-May, but hit just .259 with zero homers and a .296 slugging percentage in 36 games. Over the weekend Norfolk also released Jamie Moyer.
Considering he’s 38 years old and was terrible in 91 games for the Giants last season this seems like the end of the line for Tejada, who won the MVP in 2002 and made six All-Star teams while ranking as one of the best-hitting shortstops of all time.
If he’s indeed done, Tejada finishes as a career .285 hitter with 304 homers and a .793 OPS in 2,118 games and 15 seasons. Among all players in baseball history to log at least two-thirds of their games as a shortstop Tejada ranks 20th in Wins Above Replacement and trails only Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr., and Barry Larkin during the past 25 years.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights