Jun 25, 2012, 5:41 PM EST
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun the Orioles have released Miguel Tejada from their Triple-A team at the former MVP’s request.
Tejada had been playing third base for Norfolk since mid-May, but hit just .259 with zero homers and a .296 slugging percentage in 36 games. Over the weekend Norfolk also released Jamie Moyer.
Considering he’s 38 years old and was terrible in 91 games for the Giants last season this seems like the end of the line for Tejada, who won the MVP in 2002 and made six All-Star teams while ranking as one of the best-hitting shortstops of all time.
If he’s indeed done, Tejada finishes as a career .285 hitter with 304 homers and a .793 OPS in 2,118 games and 15 seasons. Among all players in baseball history to log at least two-thirds of their games as a shortstop Tejada ranks 20th in Wins Above Replacement and trails only Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr., and Barry Larkin during the past 25 years.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)