Jun 25, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Despite mediocre secondary numbers Anthony Bass had a 1.68 ERA in 48 innings as a rookie last season and a 2.89 ERA through his first 53 innings this year, but the Padres right-hander has struggled recently and is now on the disabled list with a bum shoulder.
Bass allowed 29 runs in 31 innings over his last six starts, although his most recent outing was a good one until he had to leave with shoulder soreness.
Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Bass hoped to avoid the DL and potentially even make his next start, but the Padres decided to play it safe and shut him down for a couple weeks.
UPDATE: Blast from the past Kip Wells is stepping into the rotation for Bass, which will be be his first big-league action since 2009.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (84)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)