The Yankees announce the Old Timers Day rosters. Tanyon Sturtze finally gets the call

Jun 25, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT

Tanyon Sturtze

The Yankees will hold their 66th annual Old Timers Day on July 1, and they announced the invitees a little earlier today.

Many of the usual suspects, obviously: Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, Ron Guidry, Whitey Ford and Goose Gossage. Among the new faces: Sterling Hitchcock, Stump Merrill, Gene Monahan, Matt Nokes and Tanyon Sturtze. Yep. THE Tanyon Sturtze.

I kid, but that’s pretty cool. It would be pretty easy for the Yankeess to skew these sorts of events to only the past greats or those only associated with their many winning teams. But bringing in dudes like Nokes, Hitchcock and Sturtze suggests pretty strongly that the team, unlike the press that follows it, doesn’t differentiate between “true Yankees” and the rabble.

As far as the team is concerned, if you ever wore the pinstripes, you’re a Yankees Old Timer. And there’s something nice about that.

1. redguy12588 - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Wish the pirates did stuff like this.

2. craftylefty318 - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Where is Phil Linz? We want Phil Linz!

• mybrunoblog - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM

He is somewhere out there, deep into his harmonica lessons.

• whyibelieve32 - Jul 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Just spoke to him. Apparently The “Real Old Timers” cannot be a part of it anymore… :( Baseball just aint what it used to be.

3. largebill - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Is that the complete roster or are Jeter and A-Rod gonna get a chance to play?

4. danaking - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I hate the Yankees, but have to admit, this is classy.

5. proudlycanadian - Jun 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Is Posada playing?

6. mybrunoblog - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Yankees were the first team to do an old timers day and they still do it the best. Bringing back relatively obscure former Yanks is cool.
    Now can somebody please get Mike Figga’ phone number?

• rooney24 - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

You made me look up Mike Figga. Dude got a World Series ring because he appeared in one game in 1998 (per Wikipedia, so take that for what it is worth). Five total games for the Yankees over three seasons, 46 total career games (per baseball-reference.com), but has a ring. Crazy.

7. RickyB - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Love the fact that not only is Aaron Small among those attending, but this is not even his first Old Timers’ Game!

8. protectthishouse54 - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Old Timer’s Day is as much fun in the stands as it is on the field. It’s a great reminder to have Pops fill you in on the skills and styles of guys like Louisiana Lightning or The Goose. A reminder of the rich history of the game.

It’s also a great way to pay homage to the former players, famous or not. Guys like Yogi won’t be around forever. Let’s let em hear it one more time.

9. sdelmonte - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I wish more teams did something like this now. Every team has history and has fan favorites to bring back. (And I think I posted this same thing last year.)

That list of invitees is utterly impressive. And the best part is that the list also includes the widows of Elston Howard, Catfish Hunter, Bobby Murcer and Thurman Munson. When you’re part of the Yankees family, your own family is part of it too.

10. bigleagues - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Personally I keep hoping to hear Ed Whitson get the call . . . but that’s just me.

• mybrunoblog - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM

It would only be appropriate if Whitson and Billy Martin Jr got into a fight at the post old timers day party.

• bigleagues - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I’ll drink to that!

• bigharold - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM

“..I keep hoping to hear Ed Whitson get the call . . ”

Jim Bouton has a better chance to throw an inning at old timers day than Whitson.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Jim Bouton has, in fact, pitched an inning at Old Timers Day.

• bigharold - Jun 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Really? I stand corrected!

11. garryfish - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Is Fritz Petersen & Mike Kekich bringing each other wives? Just askin!!!!

• Kevin S. - Jun 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I’m pretty sure Kekich’s marriage fell apart pretty quickly, while Petersen’s lasted for quite some time (and might still be going today, for all I know).

• RexCanCoach - Jun 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Hysterical. A few years ago I ran into Sparky Lyle…he is the longtime manager of independent league Somerset Patriots in NJ. We were at a golf outing and my friend was trying to remember names of Kekich and Petersen. So Sparky stops by and I say, “Sparky do you remember the two guys who…” he cuts me off and says “Oh sure, Fritz Petersen and Mike Kekich. They traded wives but they also traded houses and their dogs, not a lot of people knew that.”

12. daisycutter1 - Jun 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

What? No Chad Curtis? I kid, I kid.

13. rickset - Jun 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I was able to make it to the last Old Timers Day at the old Yankee Stadium. Being a Yankees fan and that being my one and only visit to the old stadium, it was a really cool expirence.

14. deathmonkey41 - Jun 25, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I know he was actually a pretty good reliever for the Yanks, but the thing I’ll always remember about him is when he emerged from that pile up fight at Fenway with blood on his head. Now, that’s old school.

• bigharold - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM

He was an excellent reliever until Joe “Burn’em all Down” Torre got his hands on him. Torre ran him into the ground, like every other decent reliever he got his hands on that wasn’t named Mariano Rivera.

And, that fight at Fenway he was mixing it up with Ortiz AND Kapler. Sure enough Old School!

15. stackers1 - Jun 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Mickey Rivers still looks the same out in centerfield. And it’s always good to see Oscar Gamble, even without the fro.

16. thegronk87 - Jun 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Isn’t every day old timer’s day for the yankees?

• bigharold - Jun 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM

That’s cleaver.

Not nearly as cleaver as; Why do the call it the World Series if it’s usually played in the Bronx?

17. tcostant - Jun 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Did Bam Bam loss his invite?

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2506)