Jun 25, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Capps stayed on the active roster for more than a week while hurt and then looked terrible in one appearance, at which point the Twins finally decided to shut him down.
Left-hander Glen Perkins is the obvious choice to step into the closer role, but yesterday manager Ron Gardenhire turned to right-hander Jared Burton to close out a 4-3 game against a right-handed heavy portion of the Reds’ lineup.
Gardenhire has always preferred a set closer, so it’ll be interesting to see if he continues to use a closer-by-committee approach based on matchups while Capps is out. It’s tough to go wrong with Perkins or Burton considering how well they’ve both pitched in setup roles.
I broke down the Twins’ bullpen situation much further on yesterday’s “Gleeman and The Geek” show.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)