Jun 25, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Capps stayed on the active roster for more than a week while hurt and then looked terrible in one appearance, at which point the Twins finally decided to shut him down.
Left-hander Glen Perkins is the obvious choice to step into the closer role, but yesterday manager Ron Gardenhire turned to right-hander Jared Burton to close out a 4-3 game against a right-handed heavy portion of the Reds’ lineup.
Gardenhire has always preferred a set closer, so it’ll be interesting to see if he continues to use a closer-by-committee approach based on matchups while Capps is out. It’s tough to go wrong with Perkins or Burton considering how well they’ve both pitched in setup roles.
I broke down the Twins’ bullpen situation much further on yesterday’s “Gleeman and The Geek” show.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights