Jun 26, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Chicago made it official, calling up first base prospect Anthony Rizzo from Triple-A before tonight’s game.
And while the Cubs took their sweet time promoting him from Triple-A they wasted no time throwing him into the middle of the lineup. Rizzo is playing first base and batting third in his Cubs debut, pushing Bryan LaHair to right field and the No. 5 spot with Alfonso Soriano as the cleanup man and Tony Campana on the bench.
Between last season and this season Rizzo played 163 games at Triple-A, hitting .336 with 49 homers, 52 doubles, 163 RBIs, and a 1.075 OPS.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP